Week 14 {365} New York City

Before I begin I thought I should just make it known that this was my first excursion to The Big Apple. I come from Iowa where there are more corn fields and pigs than people, where I can still send homemade cupcakes to school, and where the news is about new puppies or school board meetings. Having said that, I'm sure you can understand my shock and surprise at the things my eyes beheld in the big city. People, crime, and pollution really do fill the streets; an experience sure to stay in my memory bank for some time to come.

The things that made the biggest mark for me...

The sheer amount of walking.
I'm happy to report that I did not end up with any blisters. I opted for my rocket dogs and although they are not really the cutest or the proper shoes for a marathon amount of walking, they did ok. My legs on the other hand were sore in new and unexpected places that I didn't even know could be sore. We stayed in Hotel Beacon on the upper west side and took the subway everywhere. Wow.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
You could really lose some weight there if it wasn't for all the yummy food on every corner. Which brings me to the next memorable thing...

Food.
The thing that ate up most of my money (no pun intended) was... yes, Food! We ate at several uppity restaurants where the food was exquisite. I even had a $9 glass of juice at one. Shawna says it was worth every penny. Not so sure, but an experience. We also had a connoli in Little Italy, a hot dog on Union Square, New York style pizza, a lots of good sandwiches- they have great cafes and delis. We never did get that cupcake. We just ran out of time.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket (this photo is of Little Italy)

Chinatown Shawna style
My sisters tell me everyone does Chinatown this way, but if you've ever watched "Taken" it all was too reminiscent of that movie for me. There were these big black guys or Chinese men that stood on the corners with walkie talkies holding large white or black bags. Inside were the treasures... Oakley sunglasses, Prada handbags, Tiffany jewelry. If we were interested they would radio their counterpart who would meet us at a location and take us to the secret stash. At one point we were taken through this wall down a fight of stairs to a basement that could very well be on "Hoarders". From there we were taken down a skinny hallway to this small room holding all the name brand handbags. A man came out of nowhere right behind me and scared me half to death. It was definitely an experience I wanted to be part of, but didn't share in my sister's calm amusement. I'm still not sure if these were pirated or stolen, but both illegal all the same. Several times cops would show up to bust them on the street and they would take off running.

Photobucket

Central Park.
Exquisite. Not enough time spent there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wicked.
Second time seeing it. We had super crappy seats, but it was worth every penny. Still gave me chills. If you haven't yet seen it, you must!

Photobucket

Ground Zero.
There is new contruction going on at Ground Zero and it is impossible to really see anything. They have relocated everything that was on the wall to the Trinity church across the street. It is the new shrine.

Photobucket

Times Square.
Day or Night- amazing. It's something that you really can't capture with a photo, but here's a glimpse.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Statue of Liberty.
We ended up just taking the Staton Island Ferry, so didn't get up close and personal- but still breathtaking. It was a cool, very windy day so pics were hard.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Crazies
This is what I call all those wackos on the street... the guy disrobing and masturbating outside the subway, the naked cowboy on Times Square, the Obama condom.com promotor, the incredible hulk looking guy, the white afro hair woman, the man threatening another in the subway, a nun accosting my sister, the list goes on and on. I actually can't imagine raising a child there. I was too afraid to take a photo of most of them. Here's a few I did get...

Photobucket

Other Highlights
Empire State Building at night with long lines and large gusts of wind (don't have those pics yet), Soho shopping, Grinich Village, Century 21 (Yikes), Financial District, M&M Factory, the toy store from Home Alone, etc.

This was definitely a Barnes style 4 day getaway. They sure do know how to pack it in- No rest for the weary! Shop til you drop!!

These were some of my favorite pics, although I must admit I didn't take as many as I normally do. I was on strike from photos for a couple hours day 2. My husband tells me I am a photo nazi and that it's difficult to have your picture taken all the time. That may be so, but it is also difficult to lug it around, so I've been doing some thinking and have decided I may not take my SLR on my next trip. Less whining and more free hands. Maybe I should only pull it out for paying customers who actually want to get their photo taken. Enjoy these, there may not be so many next time. (If I get the other photos I'll post them later along with my weekly scrapbook page for P365.)

I'm tired and my husband is wanting my full undivided attention.

7 comments

  1. FUN!!! Thank you so much for taking these pictures. It is unbelievable how much easier it is to really remember what you did when you can see it in a picture. It helps it to all come back. TOTALLY LOVE THEM!!!....AND YOU!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! That is a lot of blog to respond to. My favorite picture is of you all in Central Park. I've said it once, but I'll say it again- you are all ridiculously stylish. And you all look the same-which makes you photograph well together. Makes for a pretty picture. This is mean to be a compliment I might add.

    Yeah.....weirdos..... I don't even love going to Seattle because there are so many antagonistic homeless people. In Oly they are more like hippie hobos. I can't believe you went with someone to look at handbags!!! I said in a recent blog that I have a general distrust of people. Don't know if I ever would've done that......without a weapon of some kind.

    Looks like a great tip. I really wish you would come to WA this summer. I'm missing out on Alicia fun! We could do something fun! Anyway, I did wonder who took some of those pics since there was no one missing. It sucks because there are moments when it's so hard/annoying to take photos but they are moments you want to have photographed!!!

    If I would go to NYC (as an adult)I would go crazy on the food. I am a foodie now and I watch so many shows that showcase restaurants and their best dishes, etc.. and of course 60% of them are in NYC. I'd go broke. I'd have to stay on a strict list. I am happy you got a canoli and a hotdog. I'd want to get a reuben or something at Katz's deli.

    The walking would be good to keep me in shape. London was very much like NYC and I lost weight just on that week trip there because I was walking so much.

    Looks like a great trip! I'm glad it was a success and that you came back safely!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much fun! Great pics too. I would love to go eat in NYC. YUM! I must agree, you are all very stylish! My hair wouldn't stay cute long enough for a picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu are such a brave soul! Especially going "underground" through halls and wherever you guys went! Some of this reminds me of London...but honestly, I think London was a lot more "cleaner" and less scary...at least to me. I want to see Wicked again...I'm hoping to find someone who will go with me! :) Glad you had a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous! I can't believe I grew up back east and still have never been to NYC. Maybe one of these days! Hope you had a wonderful time with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a blast, trips with sisters are always the best. Hope you had fun and that it's not too much of a shock being back to reality today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha! This post made me laugh, as if you couldn't tell from all the 'ha'-ing.

    I live in NYC! On the UWS! I walk past the Beacon 5 days a week to pick up my daughter!

    This is a great place to raise kids. I was actually writing a post about it, but took a time out when I checked my blog and saw your comment. People do lose weight here! It's actually a running joke that people lose 15lbs when moving here and gain 15 when they move away. The first time we visited here, I left with the same impression as you. After living here, though, my eyes have been opened to a lot more.I can't give it away here, I have to save it for my post! :)

    I'm glad you had a good time and managed it all without any blisters!

    www.lovemedaily.com

    ReplyDelete