The world is my canvas.

This year for Spring Break hubs had to be in SC, so rather than an exotic island getaway I had been secretly hoping for, we packed ourselves up and tagged along on the nearly 18 hour long drive. Hubs opted for a rental car and the hotel suite over the expensive plane ticket to spend time with the fam. The timing of the trip was a little odd considering we already have a family reunion scheduled in The Outer Banks of NC in a few months. But hey- I'm always up for an adventure. Unless it involves snakes or spiders. Plus, can you ever have too much sand?

Photobucket

You may think that after my many excursions car-bound that I prefer to drive rather than fly, but you would be wrong. Truth is, we are cheap (hubs prefers to call it frugal) and would rather get multiple trips in rather than one or two per year, so I suck it up and try not to whine too much. I think I did remarkably well this time considering...

And if you only fly you would never truly have the whole experience. This is something I must continually remind myself. Especially when my butt can hardly stand to sit another minute.

But my many weeks trippin' over the last couple years have given me rich experiences, awe-inspiring photo ops, but mostly? Soothing respites for my mind and soul...

It is only because I was car-bound that I was able to get out and truly experience the beauty around me.

Things like...

The wide open skies
Photobucket

and the Black Hills of South Dakota.
Photobucket

The rock formations of Colorado.
Photobucket

Photobucket

The Smoky Moutains of Tennessee.
Photobucket

The Skyline of Seattle.
Photobucket

The rugged cactus terrain of New Mexico.
Photobucket

The white sands of Destin, Florida.
Photobucket

The Badlands of South Dakota.
Photobucket

The rapids of West Virginia.
Photobucket

The volcanic mountains of Washington.
Photobucket

The Rio Grande Gorge of New Mexico.
Photobucket

The amazing altitudes and breathtaking views at Pike's Peak, CO.
Photobucket

The mountains of sand
Photobucket

and wide open spaces in Colorado.
Photobucket

The wild animals of North Dakota.
Photobucket

And our recent discoveries in South Carolina...

The sunsets.
Photobucket

The amazing southern oak trees.
Photobucket

And the beautiful empty beaches
Photobucket

filled with treasures galore.
Photobucket

You can find more of our recent adventures in SC here or here.

There has been plenty before and hopefully plenty more in the coming years.

The world is my canvas. It's beauty is endless.

And on a side note, I thought I would mention that one of my photos from my 2009 project 365 was featured in a blog called Family Fountain. It is entitled, "Imagination and Creativity". It is a beautiful post and is definitely worth a read. Poignant and thought provoking.

Did you have any fun adventures over spring break?

13 comments

  1. That is so amazing! I love the tangled up tree the most. That looks like an excellent climbing tree. All we have here in Canada are maple trees and fir trees. I always wondered how people loved to climb trees. Now I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately this particular angel oak is said to be 1500 years old and the largest living thing east of the rockies- so she can no longer be climbed on, but there are plenty of other big old oaks that the kids had a ball on. Yes, it was hard to resist. The branches were everywhere. If you ever find yourself in SC it is located in John's Island.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beautiful pictures! And I think I may have been at that empty beach last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos have left me a little breathless. Oh my. What a beautiful world.
    Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an AMAZING collection of travel photos!! what a beautiful country we live in!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've covered a lot of ground, ice even to- a of those places! Desrin is gorgeous awesome pics

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful places, beautiful photos.

    I used two of your horse pictures this morning. www.warrenbaldwin.blogspot.com. Thanks. Your pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. as always, beauty is all over this post
    hope yall had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous photos! So many wonderful sights. I enjoyed your collection of SC shots - being in NC, my husband & I have vacationed there often over the years. Hope you all have a very good time in the OBX too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - there are so many things I want to see for myself one day. So much beauty out there! I'm glad to at least be able to look at your beautiful photos...! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These photos gave me the chills!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures...I felt I was at each place...thanks for dropping by and seeing my five year olds pictures from the gardens...he so enjoys taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One thing that I love about traveling is feeling disoriented and removed from my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete