WW: Urban Gardening

 photo IMG_3552edit900px_zps92d0f6ba.jpg

Last year hubs and Little Man kicked off the warm spring days by constructing a raised bed garden. It was fun to see them working together for a common goal.
   photo IMG_3548edit900px_zpsb8f60446.jpg

It took several afternoons to see it through, but in the end it was beautiful. We celebrated by hitting the nursery and picking out some favorite vegetables and seeds to plant.

 photo IMG_3554edit900px_zps2d472dae.jpg Materials Used 
 Tin Roofing (Corrugated Metal)
1x4 Treated Wood 
Marine Plywood 
Landscape Fabric 
Composted Manure 
Drill & Saw/ Screws 

They cut their 1x4s to the same length, framed and assembled the floor (made of marine plywood) and then screwed it all together with the sheet metal on the outside. They drilled drain holes in the marine plywood and covered them with the landscape fabric. Once they had moved the bed to the permanent location they filled it with enough composted manure to come just below the top.

In retrospect, I wish I had taken better step by step photos. I never intended to share this project, but as we went out to prepare the garden last week for the second consecutive year I realized just how special it was.

 photo IMG_3630edit900px_zps71d9e0c0.jpg

We began by pulling up any debris or weeds. And to our surprise we found these ginormous, gnarled carrots that were practically the depth of our garden bed. Being recent transplants to South Carolina we were shocked to find that they had grown through the winter. Certainly a fun surprise for us Midwest folk.
   photo IMG_3632edit900px_zps4d07ebe8.jpg

The kids were a huge part of the process, from beginning to end- both the planning and the planting!
   photo IMG_3650edit900px_zps1f24f8c5.jpg

 photo IMG_3657edit900px_zpsf8e31937.jpg

Little Man picked out his favorite kinds of tomatoes and peppers and made sure we didn't deviate from his plans.
   photo IMG_3671edit900px_zps7d673eb9.jpg

 photo IMG_3678edit900px_zpsce631d04.jpg

 photo IMG_3682edit900px_zps1f4e5d2b.jpg

 photo IMG_3689edit900px_zpsabf2b6d6.jpg

 photo IMG_3692edit900px_zpsa1ddc951.jpg

 photo IMG_3694edit900px_zpsf7641f13.jpg

 photo IMG_3718900px_zps034c1242.jpg

 photo IMG_3728edit900px_zps7ac4ccc7.jpg

I'm so happy that my children are both nature lovers. I may not love their critter surprises so much, but they can plant a garden any day. We're all looking forward to reaping the harvest in the coming months!

*I highly recommend the raised bed gardening if you have adequate light. It's easy maintenance and perfect for small spaces. You can see some of our tomatoes from last year here

I'm cohosting the Nurture Photography Challenge with Kristi of Live and love out Loud and Rebecca of Bumbles and Light. This week's prompts are Green/Nature in Honor of Earth Day. See what other things I've been doing in honor of Earth Day and share your Green/Nature Photos through Thursday, April 25th. You can learn more about the Spring Challenge, as well as upcoming prompts, here.

That's all for now. Thanks so much for stopping by! In case you're new here- welcome!
-------------------------------------

This is Wordless Wednesday, but as you can see, I have a hard time keeping it wordless. Wordful or Not So Wordless posts are always welcome here at Project Alicia. You can grab my button in the sidebar but it is not required to participate. Just grab any photo and come link up! And if you'd like to connect with other WW participants, click HERE or one of the thumbnails below.

The Paper MamaPhotobucketPhotobucketseven clown circusPhotobucketBetter in BulkPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

61 comments

  1. We tried (unsuccessfully) to have small raised beds last year. I really like the set up of the beds y'all used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great garden! It really is nice that your garden is a family project. I am really getting anxious for warmer weather so I can get out and clean my garden off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very cool!! We have two raised beds which just don't seem to flourish, perhaps one of these might. Hmmmm


    Happy WW, loved the series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome! I love the set up you did. I hope to do this once we get settled somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic project! I really need to find the time to do something similar with my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great Alicia, I bet the veggies will be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the idea of using roofing for the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! We have just planted some veges in our garden vege patch. And rhubarb will be going in soon too. There is nothing more fantastic then home grown veges.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How nice. I've been dreaming about raised beds. I hope your garden produce a lot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so want a raised bed garden. I might talk my husband into it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of a raised bed garden...seems so much cleaner and easier to reach :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous! I have a regular in-ground vegetable garden but I love the idea of a raised-bed one! Saves room in the yard and I can still have yummy vegetables! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks awesome, can't wait until it's nice enough here to do that!

    Tammi

    http://www.myorganizedchaos.net/2013/04/vegas-skyline-by-day-by-night

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great family project idea. I will have to share it with my hubs. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We've built a garden bed but have WAY too much shade to make it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. kate@ramblingsfromutopiaTuesday, 23 April, 2013

    Well done! You're miles ahead of me on the garden. I promised myself if I moved back home we'd have a veggie garden in our backyard, thanks for the motivation, inspiration, now I just need to of the editing couch this weekend and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whao... can't wait to see how the plants turn out :) Happy WW

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll keep this post in mind for next year! L is in 4-H and learning about planting, but I hope to have our own bigger production next year. Have you tried hay bale gardening?

    ReplyDelete
  19. No, we have never tried the hale bale gardening, Dagmar. We actually are just renting and the yard is pretty small, so we opted for a small raised bed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha! Good luck getting through all of the editing. That's quite an undertaking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah, you do need a considerable amount of light to make it worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It really does save space. We actually have a small yard and by doing the raised bed the kids are still able to kick balls and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes to both. Hardly any maintenance and the clean up from last year took just minutes. And this would be great for older individuals or those with back issues. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Agreed! We have yet to plant rhubarb but hub's parent always make strawberry-rhubarb pie.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The corrugated metal certainly makes it more attractive. I think it would be fun in an aged metal as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Rebecca! We had quite a few tomatoes last year, so I'm anxious to see what we get from this planting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry it didn't work out, Christine. What made it unsuccessful?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oooooo... I have garden envy!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like a great family project! Lovely pics as always, Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is super neat!! I've always wanted to do something like this but it always starts around the time we move.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kristen @ My 3 Little KittensWednesday, 24 April, 2013

    Beautiful photos. They tell such a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hmmm, I did post a comment earlier today but for whatever reason doesn't show (I am certain it's user error)! :) Love the idea, we have two raised veggie beds that just don't seem to work for us at all, sigh. Perhaps next year we will try this idea, thanks for posting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice! I need to look into a raised bed for my apartment's patio/balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is the first year that's daughter has taken an interest in helping her Daddy in the garden and it's so lovely to see. x

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great idea! My yard doesn't get a lot of light and my neighbor has wanted to make a garden for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love gardening with the kids!! Cant wait to see photos of your stuff when it is all growing x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very cool! I need to do something about our yard for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm not exactly sure, but I'm leaning towards not tall enough beds. We just threw some boards together and didn't really give it the effort it needed. I showed my hubs and father the beds you guys made and they were excited about giving them a try. So fingers crossed! =)

    ReplyDelete
  40. What an awesome idea and a great family project! I'll have to show this to my husband ;)


    Hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Awesome project, and you are a great photographer! I hope you'll come link up: http://www.potatochipcats.com/2013/04/wordless-wednesday-belize-with-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
  42. Very cool Lish- I have been itching to find our final landing spot so I can get a garden going. Really wanting to grow my own food.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm waiting to hit up the hardware store to get the lumber for ours but I LOVE the idea of using the siding for it! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Such gorgeous and detailed photos. I love the idea of a raised garden.

    ReplyDelete
  46. That is one of best you can do for you family. I'm so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Those are so cool - we need to put in some raised garden beds since the wild rabbits tend to think our garden is their own personal smorgasbord. ;)

    Signs of Spring... At Last!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love the raised beds! I like gardening, but my dogs always get into ground level beds. Great photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  49. i just love gardening! since we built our home, i haven't really had a proper garden. i plant tomatoes and cucumbers in a small plot out back. this year i am lucky to use the neighbor's garden, but told my husband i would love one or two of these raised bed gardens for next year. they are exactly what I'm looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Don't see why not! Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thanks for joining me in the Wordless Wednesday Bloggers. And remember, while silence
    may be golden on WWB, the weekend was made to be enjoyed :-)

    Jennifer
    thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. i want a garden. just not sure if it would work for me or not...

    ReplyDelete
  53. I use buckets for my garden, but this looks like it would work better. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Sylvia Nelson-CampbellMonday, 03 March, 2014

    I CAN NOT THANK YOU And your husband enough for his wonderful plan. Ironically, I am a South Carolinian too. I can no longer garden, even in regular raised bed gardens due to M.S. and arthritis and I am thrilled to pieces to see this economical way for me to once again putter with my plants. Now I know that even in a wheelchair I can garden! You have given me great hope again. Thank you many times over.

    ReplyDelete
  55. do you have a pattern or measurements that you used so we can do one too? I have back issues this would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Lisa Hill FelgerSunday, 09 March, 2014

    How did this hold up? Did it bend or warp over the winter? It's really beautiful but I'm not sure it would hold up to our Wisconsin winter.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Im wondering if the plywood would rot in a few year and collapse.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I was wondering the same thing. We live in Maryland and this past winter was especially harsh. I wonder if they could be disassembled and brought inside, or at least covered well through the winter? They are really nice looking!

    ReplyDelete
  59. I would put the hardware cloth on the bottom instead of the wood and lay black fabric down on top of that.

    ReplyDelete