The flip side.

There were many comments in regards to the Santa topic. It's obvious this is a subject which arouses strong emotions. Tiffany wrote a lengthy, heart felt comment. I know she must feel very passionate about her views, so I thought I'd share "the flip side". In response to my thoughts on Santa, she writes:

There is an article written by LeGrand Richards on the whole reason why we should allow our children to believe in this magic... That it is for our benefit to learn to give with no recognition to do something anonymously without credit. I am completely devastated when my kids stop believing and go to great lengths to drag it on one more year. When asked logical questions like how does he go down the chimney etc I just answer with if you don't believe he won't give you anything. Have you ever seen the book I believe in Santa Clause? It is by Diane G Adamson, you should check it out, it makes comparisons with Santa and Christ the last page of the book says "Psychologist have written of the healthful benefits of encouraging children to believe in a kind and generous Santa. Strong beliefs in Santa Claus in the tender years are said to foster traits of goodness, helpfulness, and the desire to bring joy and happiness to others. These are all attributes of the Savior and espousing these traits in our own lives not only contributes to healthful living but also helps us to become more Christlike."...... I truly believe in Santa (or the spirit of Santa Claus) so I do not feel like I am lying in anyway....There truly is a spirit of Santa Claus that exists and is real, the giving to others etc etc and that’s how we (my older children and I believe forever in Santa)I have my kids read the I believe in Santa or the Yes Virginia there is and if they are old enough to understand the "Spirit" of Santa they get it and we never talk about "no" Santa.....otherwise we keep dragging on the magic....the letter says...Virginia, your little friends are wrong, they have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! How dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished........ (skipping a little) Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. No Santa Claus! Thank God, he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood."

I wanted to add that as a child I did believe in Santa until I was about 8 years of age. I don't remember it vividly, but do remember the Christmas that I was trying to stay up to reaffirm my suspicions. My mother must have read the same book that Tiffany quoted from because I remember hearing similar words when she sat me down and gave me the talk. I think that the idea of Santa is wonderful, especially for young children. We have watched The Polar Express the last couple years and it is a warm, fuzzy, feel good sort of movie that portrays the spirit of Santa in a beautiful way. Little Man has done a great job of keeping the spirit of Santa alive for his younger sister and he is also a child who has learned the true meaning of charity, always wanting to buy for others from his own hard earned money. Over the years we have always tried as a family to do secret acts of charity in different ways. Last year after the flood we helped out some of the children's classmates that might have otherwise gone without at Christmastime.

Maybe I am placing too much emphasis on this aspect of Christmas. I just think that when children are old enough to ask such intelligent questions, maybe it's time to sit them down and share what the true meaning of Christmas is rather than insult them with lies.

Thank you Tiffany, Paula, Kirstina, Lisa, and all the others for your great input.

Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas with your families and loved ones.

Post a Comment