20 Lessons I Learned at Adventureland.

Be forewarned: This is a little lengthier than anticipated. It is chock-full of crappy point and shoot photos that hubs was kind enough to capture, mostly while in motion himself. Crappy or not they tell the story way better than I ever could. It was one CRAZY day! If ya don't believe me, keep reading. These are some of the lessons I took home with me from our outing to the amusement park.

1. Make sure to get a great family shot at the start of your day. (You might not have another opportunity.)

Photobucket

2. Rides with the kids bring out their true personalities. (Notice how stiff Little Man is.)

Photobucket

3. Never do the silly silo by yourself. You'll be the only sicko for a while.

Photobucket

4. Bonding moments come when you least expect them. Make sure to not be on the sidelines.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

5. There's a chance your glasses may fly off even when hubs assures you they won't. You'd better hold on if ya wanna keep em!

Photobucket

6. Ski lifts prepare children for the sky ride.

Photobucket

7. Always carry an umbrella even when hubs is against it, especially if it is lightweight and doesn't take up much space. It might just come in handy.

Photobucket

8. Don’t ride any rides while it’s raining. It might just start pouring and you may get drenched. And then get an ear infection from water in your ear.

Photobucket

Photobucket

9. Under no circumstances should you EVER believe accuweather or KCRG channel 9 forecasts. Be prepared for stormy weather and torrential downpours even when rain is not predicted or on the radar.

Photobucket

10. Don’t walk through standing water without shoes. You may collect all sorts of pond scum on your feet and legs. And you may spend days trying to get the dirt out of the cracks in your feet to no avail. (But it may be the only option to get out of the park.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

11. Always have an extra change of clothes and/or towel in the car so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg getting dry clothing at the local Target. Btw, Target doesn't allow cameras. :(

12. Never eat funnel cake and then ride spinny rides back to back. Even if you don’t vomit, you may feel sick for hours.

Photobucket

Photobucket

13. Never curl your hair if you plan to go to an amusement park. And make sure to sport a cute hat as a backup plan when hair fails you. (See photo above.)

14. Mix up the arcade games so you don’t end up with 3 of the exact same stupid dogs.

Photobucket

15. Make sure to check out the fun mirrors. They always make you feel better about yourself.

Photobucket

16. Point and shoot cameras are not the best for action shots.

Photobucket

Photobucket

17. No person over the age of 12 should ever do the inverter 5 times in a row.

Photobucket

18. You should do the Tornado even if you feel squeamish because it might be the most fun you have all day. (I did it twice.)

Photobucket

19. Always bring a ziplock bag for cameras and phones. Preferably quart sized because the sandwich size might be too small and get a hole. Or a waterproof camera would be better yet.

20. Don't let motion sickness, flash flooding, thunderstorms, freezing kiddos, or bad hair ruin your day. Turns out not many people like amusement parks in the rain and you can go on rides as much as you want. And it makes for some great stories.

Photobucket
There ya have it. Hope your day at the park is less eventful than ours! And if not, try to make the most of it.

And in case you didn't notice those annoying letters on all the photos...
I have started watermarking. It's sad that we have to worry so much about copyright infringements and plagiarism, not to mention our own protection, but it has been brought to my attention that all are valid concerns. If you do photos you might want to consider this option. I used photoshop elements, but lady blogger's society posted a great tutorial of how to watermark your photos in photobucket. Definitely worth a look-see.

51 comments

  1. Great pictures, girl! WOW! Looks like so much fun and the funnel cake...oh my, temptation! :D Btw, I use watermark too when I'm not too lazy LOL but then again if we keep our pictures in small size (800x400px) people won't be able to use it and blow them up as it would ruined it but your watermark is lookin great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. They actually let you continue to ride rides in the downpour? they shut six flags down for 20 minutes when we were there til the rain stopped.

    I have to know your makeup secrets. how on earth do you look that well made up after a day full of heat, humanity, rain, rides and skank?

    great phots...even with a point and shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like so much fun! And that water was crazy... some of our most fun experiences at amusement parks were also on days when unexpected storms rolled in.

    Thanks for the watermarking link. I had been wondering about that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I know I've said this before (if not, I've thought it!) but you have THE most beautiful family! Your daughter is gorgeous and your son is so handsome!! Also, I can't believe that water on the way out... incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! That's a lot of rain!!! It looks like what it's been doing around here all week...

    Your point and shoot got some GREAT shots!

    Looks like you had a great time. How much fun is that?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pictures and I can't believe you got that much rain. Holy cow what an adventure you had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the list and pictures, what fun!

    Thanks for putting up that watermark suggestion and the link up to the tutorial, it's scary that things like that can happen. I better do some of my watermarks soon, mahalo! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are the most darling family! and you my friend are a knock out! See, everyone thinks that Seattle gets all this rain. We NEVER get T-storms resulting in rain like that. Amazing day you had with the fam. One that the kiddos will remember always.

    watermarking is important. I use Picnik but will check out photobucket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great pictures! You guys look like you're having an absolutely blast! I can't believe the flooding they had at that park though! Oh my! I also didn't realize that all Targets don't allow cameras. A lot of stores I shop at have signs saying no cameras are allowed, but I thought that was to not allow the paparazzi in! Not that I've ever seen paparazzi in my hood, but I do live near some people they like to target, so....I assumed the sign was for them. Anyway, it looked like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, there was all kinds of fun in that post! Poo on Target for their silly no camera rule. :( Looks like a great time regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alicia this was a FABULOUS & FUN post!
    I loved your day at Adventure Land!
    Yeah for family time!
    I can't BELIEVE it rained that much!
    Good thing you had that adorable LEOPARD umbrella!
    And how dare anyone take any credit for your FAB photos!!!!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that rain is insane!!! Talk about a flash flood. Looks like a great day otherwise and one you won't forget soon. Love ALL the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The rain was CRAZY! Wow. Total flash flood.

    I have never had a funnel cake. One day when I'm at a US fair or park I am totally going to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very great photos that have been taken. Looks like you all had the time of your lifes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos and narrative! I felt as though I was there ... except that my feet are dry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos and tips. Holy cow that was a lot of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are GREAT pics! I cant believe that standing water... what the heck?!?!?!? Looks like tons of smiles & fun though!

    I've noticed more & more people marking their pictures too... very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like a fab time! Gosh they wouldn't let you ride the coasters at the theme parks here in Florida. Fab photos even if they were just point and shoot! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photos and great tip about watermarking. Umm, where did you get your hat? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun day! I love how you narrated your day - made if fun to read! ;) I can't believe how much water you guys were walking through! WOW!! Again, you were fashionable at every point in the day despite the rain! I don't think husbands will ever understand our need to pack all the extra things of course until we actually need them and then that grumpy tone become a thoughtful thank you! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What an eventful trip! I can't believe all that water -- I'm glad the rides didn't shut down on you :) It sure looks like you guys had an awesome time anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks like so much fun! I'm almost a little jealous of the spunk that a flash flood added to your day. Cute hair too!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow! looks like ya'll had an amazing and fantabulous time! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW. I was just sitting here with my mouth open at those shots of the water you had to wade through! Incredible.

    What a day that looks like - good for you guys, capturing it the way you did. I always regret not taking more pictures of fun days like the one you had.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is A LOT of water....holy hell! That being said, it doesn't seem like it bothered you guys at all and that you had a fantastic time :)

    And thanks so much for the link to the watermarking tutorial...I've been wondering how to do it...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, do I remember days like that....so much fun! I love your cheerful attitude in the face of perceived adversity. And really, how DO you keep looking so utterly fab at the end of a day like that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was actually marveling at how fab your hair looked the whole day...no humidity?? That rain was BONKERS...that IS flash-flooding!!

    Just FYI for anyone who doesn't have photoshop and doesn't use photobucket...if you use blogger as your blog host you can edit AND watermark all of your pictures in Picasa and it's free and very simple to understand!! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think those pictures are perfectly wonderful! What happy, honest expressions! And holy flash flood!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Thats awesome! Now go to my blog, take a look for a picture and try right clicking to steal it. It's very easy to do. :-) Let me know if you want instructions.
    jessica62286.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. The silly silo??? Are you crazy???? There is no way I'd get on that thing!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome...tell you hubby he takes great pictures of you! Wonderful memories...enjoy...they grow so fast and I so love our pictures from these times in our family (even if they were before digital, LOL)...catching these times with the two still at home...........just have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Heading to Six Flags soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't think these pictures are crappy at all! They are awesome! These are really great lessons and I'm glad you shared them with us. I will definitely be taking an umbrella when we go to amusement parks from now on!

    I'm glad you all had a great time! Your family and you are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such wonderful pictures. I can't believe the amount of rain that came down! Everyone looks like they had a great time...love that hat too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So loved these, I felt as if I was there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Holy Moly! Look at that water! It looks like you had a wonderful time and the pics aren't bad. However, the funnel cake has caused me a terrible craving.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love all the pictures and smiles! Looks like a fun time despite all that ridiculous rain! Glad you guys had fun! That funnel cake looks A-MA-ZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my stars. Torential rain is right. That's unreal. You got some incredible shots......as usual. And, as usual, I must tell you that your family is just so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow what a day at the amusement park! Such great pics! Where is this park? Bc we hope to visit Iowa in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  39. LOL... I always wondered who was being amused at amusement parks because I always seem to be chasing someone or feeling sick! Still great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Holy rain!!! At DisneyWorld they would shut down all the outdoor rides during the rain (which happens all the time) I am glad to see they let you keep riding! Looks like a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a great day and great photos. I took our oldest to an amusement park about a month ago and it was so fun to pretend I was a kid again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Looks like a fun day! I must've snuck passed my local T - I got a few shots in there once! lol

    ReplyDelete
  43. How fun! And those rains, wow!

    We have Disney passes and even though I grouse about going, we always have such a good time and I know my girls will have those memories forever. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love, love, love these pictures! It looks like a fabulously fun day. I love the tips too...we're going to be there in a few weeks and I'm sure they'll come in handy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a fun day! I can't believe it rained that much, but it made for great memories and shorter lines! And I LOVE funnel cake too! You and your fam are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ha! Love the funnel cake!! Looks like all in all despite the weather, you had a great time, and that's what matters most. I really am in awe of how gorgeous you and your family are.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love those ride pix! I can't believe all that rain! OMG.

    But still looks like everyone had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh gosh! That rain looks unbelievable! We are headed to Adventureland next week. I sure hope it's not rainy like that!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow, that's a lot of rain! It sure will make some interesting memories and you got some great shots. Summer days...

    ReplyDelete