My Fate as A Mom...

Little Man and I ventured out to explore because we all know how much I love to be outdoors. Luckily we didn't have to go far. Just a few feet from our house there is a field of weeds. Woods to the left and rear. We opted for the weeds in the front. And what better spot to explore than that? Especially when you are a 10 1/2 year old boy.
Photobucket

We stood in the tall weeds and observed the bustling of the cycle of life. It was a beautiful crisp day. Bumble bees were busy gathering pollen. Dragonflies and butterflies would swoop down from time to time. Except for the swarming gnats it was actually quite lovely.
Photobucket

And of course all the japanese beetles. (Little Man made sure to point out all the ones that were mating.)
Photobucket

And the 8 legged critters. Blech. He caught yet another "garden variety spider" as he so called it. Oh joy! I just gritted my teeth and smiled from afar. I didn't want to ruin his proud moment.
Photobucket

And have I mentioned that Little Man has acquired quite an eye for photography?
Photobucket

I try to be a willing subject. Paybacks for the years of torturous photo taking sessions I suppose.
Photobucket

He always has specific ideas for his photos. I only wish he'd have let me doll up a bit first.
Photobucket

I tried hard to stay clear of wasps and webs and ambiguous looking critters. And was excited to find cute moths minding their own business just basking in the sun.
Photobucket

Photobucket

But mostly I found a happy little boy excited to spend a few moments with me in his favorite element- nature. And although I can think of nothing I hate worse than buzzing bugs and creepy crawlies... it sure does make me happy to watch this little boy's passion at play.

And I'm afraid this has become my fate because...
1. I live in the woods. And we aren't moving anytime soon.
2. I have a child who doesn't discriminate against any living creature.
3. Little Man has started a monarch caterpillar hatchery as he calls it.
4. I don't have the heart to stomp on his little dreams.

Sigh.

31 comments

  1. I was just outside today with my little guys looking at bugs, and spiders too! I hate spiders, and he wanted me to take pictures of them, just thinking about them gives me goosebumps! But, like you I don't want to ruin the proud moment when they catch one and want to show it off! It is amazing what we will do for our kids! I hope your weekend was a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cool. Your little man has an interest in something that you can teach and guide him with...it doesn't get any better than that.

    For me and my son it was scuba diving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you're being so support of your son's dreams even when they're icky to you! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on those little 8 legged critters - keep them as far away from me as possible :)
    Very jealous because of the fact that you are living in the woods - a place I would not mind living in. The city is just too much for this farm girl :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am blesses in that the boys do not like bugs of any kind! In fact, Cole screams like a girl when bugs get on him. Hmmm...perhaps I should sent him to you for a while to toughen him up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son is only 18 months but I can already tell he'll be the same way. & I'm just like you - I hate creepy crawlies of any variety. I'm trying to be a little braver these days for his sake, since I know we'll have some of those special days together like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your son is taking after your love for photography, that is super cool! :D The pictures are awesomeness as usual, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like a beautiful post... And this one surely is :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pictures! I hope you can continue to hold back from "stomping on his little dreams" so you can keep enjoying these fun moments with your son :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm extremely jealous of what you look like "undolled" up. Because I often look like someone hit me in the face.

    I swear, no one has.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm excited to do stuff like that with my son as he gets older. Looks like you had a great mother/son date.

    I'm an Iowa girl too and I'm so happy I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you're a great mom. I would've passed this duty off to my husband, personally. :)

    As always, great photos and you look fab, even when you think you look skanky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing him with his camera! I agree with Gigi, you always look great in pics....I would look a hot mess out in the woods catching bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's so great he is into photography!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE that little purple butterfly! I hope Ruari is in to Photography when she's older.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, lovely bonding time. That's awesome he's got an eye for photography, he definitely gets it from his Momma. Awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spending time with your little guy, what could be more wonderful. And yes, he can handle a camera fantastically.

    And you do look lovely, even catching bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you are great to take him out and let him do what he loves! Not all mothers are near as wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this...we are waiting for our butterfly to come out, chased snakes yesterday....and I have five boys who have all loved nature....Yea! You aren't moving anytime soon...the house thing worked out...that is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love these photos so very much. They are cute, sweet, innocent and pretty. You also look amazing by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These big pictures are so beautiful. I love how you are taking off the corners now. I do that on picnik sometimes. By the way in case you don't read my comment on my own blog, I still think boys are icky. I truly applaud your efforts to not squash Little Man's curiosity and love of bugs. (pun intended) Once Cohen is handing me spiders I will freak. But for now I'm enjoying MY little man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos! And your little man is quite the budding photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are a very very very nice mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the outdoor pictures! My kids are not afraid of bugs either! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great Mom!! Beautiful images - you can hardly tell that you were crawling out of your skin...

    ;)

    Cheers,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your son and my oldest would be great friends. He loves the bugs and we are on cocoon watch in a jar on the dinning room table right now. Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've missed you! But now, after reading this, I'm soooo hoping that my son isn't a fan of the creepy crawly things. I am not a fan and don't want to have to "cheer" for him about it. I hope that doesn't make me a selfish, bad mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I read this post in bed and smiiled the whole way through. My son is a huge lover of all things creepy crawly and furry too. It's not my thing, but I love the wonder and excitement with which he explores our world. It's refreshing isn't it - to see life through their eyes. By the way, the photography was stunning!
    Thanks for stopping by Lish. Hope you're feeling better after that nasty stomach bug. Have a fabulous day.

    Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
    @TweetingMama

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful pictures and I'm sure memories that will last a lifetime. Your son will treasure these for years to come. My son is soo in to creepy crawlies lately.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are such a great mommy! I would hate to have to stand in the woods with all those bugga buggas. Gorgeous photos! I love the one of you with the big lens in your face! Awesome view that Little Man has!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!! Love your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete