A Snapshot of Me.

Tanya from Life in 3D found this post. I have it in my favorite posts page above, but it was disabled for some reason unbeknownst to me. So, I'm not sure how she located it, but she left a sweet, thoughtful comment and I decided that I needed to revive it from the dead and give it another shot since it obviously wasn't viewed by many in the blogosphere gauging by the number of comments. I posted it back in February when I was going through a very introspective time. So enjoy a little snapshot of me... while I hang with my family visiting from California.

Photobucket

Since my daily project 365 ended I haven't picked up my SLR as much as I once did. Although the break has been nice, I miss it. I mostly miss the way I feel when I look through that lens. I'm able to view the world in an entirely new light, like a secret that only I'm privy to.

I may not be the best photographer, but it moves me and inspires me. I look at other's work and at times feel inadequate. As I was laying in bed last night trying to get my mind to shut off I had this epiphany. I realized that we are all so different. We have different strengths and weaknesses and talents and passions- and that's what makes the world so beautiful. Can you imagine listening to an orchestra with only an oboe or looking at a flower garden with only purple petunias? Although they are both beautiful on their own, how much more beautiful it would be listening to a full orchestra or viewing a garden with a wide variety of blossoms and colors.

I guess I've been trying my whole life to try to fit into a mold of this person I thought I was supposed to be. I've been looking for validation and acceptance in all the wrong places- because the only person I need to make happy is me. And it's ok to be different. It's our differences that make families and relationships and the world in general better. They enrich our lives.

At times I feel like such a small person in a big world. I don't have a master's degree. I'm not a beauty queen. I don't have fame or fortune. But those are not the things that build character or make us truly happy. If you don't believe me, just read some of the recent stories about some of the afflicted celebrities that have gone off the deep end or the philandering politicians.

We need to be true to who we are and embrace our quirks and our passions, even if we're not going to win any grammies or notoriety. As much as I enjoy the work of artists and musicians and actors... I realize that I, too, have much to offer. They may be smaller contributions, but contributions nonetheless.

Everyone has talents, whether inward or outward, that they can share with others- they come in all forms... a good friend, a concert pianist, a great cook, a writer, a runner, a gardener, an optimist, a dreamer, a teacher, etc... they are talents all the same. We need to not be afraid to embrace who we are. Just think of all the lives we can affect if we take fear and insecurities out of the equation.

I remember getting this quote as a kid in church one day and I kept it in my journal for years. I don't know what ever happened to it, but I was able to find a copy on the net.

“I am Me. In all the world, there is no one else exactly like me. Everything that comes out of me is authentically mine, because I alone chose it -- I own everything about me: my body, my feelings, my mouth, my voice, all my actions, whether they be to others or myself. I own my fantasies, my dreams, my hopes, my fears. I own my triumphs and successes, all my failures and mistakes... I am me, and I am Okay.” -Virginia Satir

I challenge each of you to dig deep and figure out what talents you possess that maybe you've been hiding away. What makes you tic? What makes you uniquely YOU?

29 comments

  1. sometimes I get upset with myself because im not great at anything. I mean, Im ok at a lot of stuff, im good at a few things, but I dont see myself as really great at anything. and sometimes reading all these blogs makes it worse. I see amazing photographers, creatively superior women, people who plan parties for a living because they followed their dreams, women who decorate or redo furniture or are just all around phenominal people. And I think "why cant I be THAT GREAT at something"...

    but I think we (or myself, at least) tend to forget that all these blogs show us is the best of each of those peoples work. Not their every day life. their house isnt always spotless. not every picture they take is fabulous. not every repainted armoir looks as great as that one.

    Its bits and piece they choose to show us. And i like to think that I could show the best bits of my life and someone might think the same way of me.

    and I realize that just because im not super mom with crafts (even though I try) and im not the world great party planner (although my kids think I am)... and I may not have found my true passion in life (or be able to pursue it right now)... it doesnt make me less me. less of a mom, a wife, a person. and im pretty great at being me. better than anyone else is....

    now that Ive gone off on my own tangent... talents that I am hiding away? I dont know if I have any. My friends and family think im a great horse trainer. (I think im ok) but we live in a small town thats too expensive for land and with 2 small kids, training is not really an option right now. maybe one day I will venture down that path again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thats a long drawn out rambley comment... sorry I took up so much space! Your post really made me think, apparently! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quote at the end of this post!

    I gave you an award on my blog, check it out!

    xo
    Lyndsay
    http://hepoppedthequestionshesaidyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realllllllyyyy LIKE the bottom quote on this blog! I feel perfect in all my imperfections now:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautifully written and thought provoking post, Lish! I love what you said about "We need to be true to who we are and embrace our quirks and our passions, even if we're not going to win any grammies or notoriety" how powerful! Thanks for sharing oh and I think you are one heck of a talented photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post. Someone asked me yesterday, What about you? You've told me all about your girls but what about you? I was totally dumbfounded and didn't know how to answer. It was quite the eye opening experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that quote! It is a great quote for my girls to grow up with. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT quote! And I totally relate to the post. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for re-posting this because I needed to read this today. I will be thinking about this all day as I try to sort out some personal struggles that I've been dealing with for a few months. My 38 years in this world I think I've been looking for validation in the all wrong places - just like you said. Your post has definitely challenged me to think - all in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post -- so glad you decided to re-post it, it's beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - I remember reading that quote to my sister years ago when she was going through some tough stuff at school, with the other kids, and even with our own brother who was merciless towards her.

    Anyway, you know that I'm going through a lot of thinking lately about what makes me who I am and what I choose to embrace. It's really not as easy as it appears to be, because in embracing one thing, you're often letting go of something else that might no longer define you, but it's something that you're unwilling or unable to let go of. At least that's what I'm feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post. I remember the reasons I got into blogging...to find the inner joy and creativity that had somehow gotten lost in the corporate world. I remember that period of my life...waking up each day, dreading the hours I'd spend at my desk, how tired I felt. I remember going through coaching with a friend (he was learning how to be a coach and used me as a student). He told me that I needed an outlet...perhaps a journal.

    I remember how liberating it was to open myself and as a result...find myself again. I am sometimes too hard on myself...sometimes too critical, but at the end of the day, I love looking at blogs (like yours) for inspiration...for support...and to feel as though I do have a place in the world.

    Thank you thank you thank you for this reminder. I am me and I am okay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I needed to read something like this today, Lish. It's funny because I've been trying to figure out what I'm good at. I enjoy writing, and want to do more of it in a more private setting instead of letting it all hang out on my blog all the time. I think I might try the journal idea the person above me mentioned.

    And that quote is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your post! you should start your project 365 again and let us enjoy the beautiful pics of yours. :)

    ~ash's mum

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you are an amazing photographer! you capture so much, so beautifully!

    this is an awesome post! I think as women, we are so hard on ourselves when we all need to take the time to see ALL the fantastic things we do for others. it used to bother me that I didn't really have a "talent" but that is hardly what is important. our talents can be a combination of so much.

    thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful post and wonderful quote at the end. You take amazing pictures and your passion for it shines through. I think it is quite a talent to tell stories through amazing pictures. It's true, we all have something wonderful and unique to offer the world, no matter how grand or small. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like for so many others who have commented on this beautifully written post, this was such a timely post for me. As I journey in discovering who I am and what this thing called "my life" is all about, I need to be reminded that "I am me and I am okay". For such a time as this....I thank you for sharing it. I love your blog and I've been a silent subscriber for some time now. Today I had to let you know that you are making a difference....

    Enjoy your day.....Candace~♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good thought provoking questions at the end there. I'm going to have to sit on those for awhile. I'm just thankful we are all unique and have our own talents and interests.....makes the world such a colorful place. If only everyone only cultivated the good stuff........:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. For whatever it's worth, I think there's something to be said for being good at a lot of things as opposed to great for just 1.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful quote and an even more meaningful post. Good for you for resurrecting it. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know but I have a feeling that creative people feel often like you. (What ever that means; all of us are creative.)
    Creative people are sensitive. And often insecure.
    We would go nuts if we'd compare ourselves to others all the time. There will always be people who are better in this and that than me, she or you > endless competition and you lose JOY of doing what you do.
    Just relax and enjoy what you do!
    You have your own 'voice' and that's beautiful!
    Greetings from Casa!

    BLOGitse

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Alicia for reposting Alicia article, sometimes we all get caught up in this journey of ours called life.

    We sometimes like in this post need to understand what life really truly is all about, it is not a race but, the most beautiful gift that has ever been granted to us my our Creator, what we do with it is a gift back to Him :>)

    ReplyDelete
  23. BEAUTIFUL photography and that quote is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that you say we need to be true to ourselves and embrace the quirks!!! I think you are an amazing photographer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for reposting this! Great perspective. I've struggled with the same types issues......where do I fit in, what's my purpose? Moreso lately as I get older. This is something I need to try to keep in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lish, this is a fantastic post....very thought-provoking. I think I needed to hear these things today, too. Some days it's too easy to compare yourself to others who seem to have it all together (whatever that means!) when what really matters is so simple.

    Love people, let them love you back. Enjoy your days, don't let them consume you. Take time to smell the flowers and feel the rays on your face. Eat ice cream. Watch the sun go down; it will come up again tomorrow.

    You are a very inspiring young lady, and have many, many talents that you may not even realize!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This was a great post! You voiced a lot of the same feelings I have or have had about myself I will take your challenge and try to embrace myself and appreciate my uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was such a profound post and one of my favorite ones that I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi!

    Just wanted to let you know that I recieved my giftcard today!

    Thanks again!
    Sam
    Mom.Undecided.

    ReplyDelete