Tasty Tuesdays Bloghop: Breakfast for Dinner on a Stick

Welcome to Tasty Tuesdays. A place to share favorite family recipes.

Sorry this is coming so late. Got home from tripping today. (Pics to come tomorrow.) Whew. I'm pooped. Kidlets start school tomorrow. Life is like a whirlwind these days and I'm loving every minute of it.

Decided on French Toast Kebabs (or kabobs- whichever you prefer) for dinner. Thanks Martha for the inspiration. I know we've had our moments and all, but you came through once again.

And since we are currently on a good note, thought I'd share Martha's new iphone app. It's fab. Only costs a buck.

The best thing about this dinner?

Photobucket
The kids can make their own.

Photobucket
Beautiful, easy, kid friendly, and perfect for busy nights stuffed with activities.

Photobucket
What's not to love?

Ingredients

(Serves 4)

8 large eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup nonfat buttermilk
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 loaf (one-pound) unsliced dense white bread (such as pullman), crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 pint fresh blueberries
1/2 pint fresh raspberries
2 bananas, sliced
Maple syrup (optional)

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place a rimmed baking sheet in the oven to warm. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, salt, and vanilla. Stir in bread.
2.In a large saute pan set over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Place half of the bread mixture in pan; cook, turning occasionally with a spatula, until browned on all sides. To keep warm, transfer to the oven. Cook remaining bread in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter as before.
3.Thread bread cubes onto skewers alternating with blueberries, raspberries, and banana slices. Serve immediately with maple syrup, if desired.

(We also added powered sugar. Yum! And we used texas toast in place of the unsliced bread. Good luck finding that one. So, they turned out slightly less cubed than martha's, but just as delish! )

I'd love for you to play along. Grab the button to the right. Any recipe works, old or new. Tell us what you're cookin up. Link up below. (You can also grab the linky below to add to your blog post.)

If you'd like me to stop by please leave a comment below, preferably with your link. I'll do my best between first day photo ops, delivering school supplies, my after school meeting with the vice principal (Oh, and not to worry- they aren't in trouble yet.), etc.

Have a Happy Tuesday Y'all!



34 comments

  1. When I saw the title I was "thinking breakfast on a stick", she swallowed too much river water. However, these are so cute, my kids would love this...I hate to say it, but Martha has a ringer here! This will be making its debut Sunday for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow the boys would love this but I might be afraid what they would do with those sticks. Weapons of mass destruction at my house ... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy!!!

    Sorry I'v been MIA lately, I'm working on redesigning my site, and ton of things at home so I've been missing for a few weeks :) but I'm back now LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those ka-bobs look SO yummy!

    PS- Thanks for introducing me to Bright Eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa Ali! Those BOS look awesome! My kids totally would love those and We do breakfast for dinner often! Very cool. My recipe this week is an experiment to see if I can make Ramen Noodles healthy! My Egg Drop soup was wonderful and full of healthy stuff so I am pretty sure I succeeded! :) Thanks for hosting this tasty event! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those kabobs look absolutely beautiful, Alicia - what a great idea for kids too! And thanks for sharing about Martha's new iPhone app too, and for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an absolutely fun idea! I think I will try that. :D
    THank you for dishing up this fun meme each week! :D

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are so pretty! Love all the fresh fruit, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun yummy idea!! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of breakfast on a stick! I finally, FINALLY remembered to stop over on a Tuesday! Thanks for such a great blog hop and I hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bookmarking this for summer breakfasts when berries are a'plenty (especially since we just bought our own blueberry bush!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a fun idea!! Enjoy the first day of school.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun! Even my teenagers would love those!
    Thanks for hosting!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is something my picky kids would actually eat. Totally trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I posted a kabob recipe too today. Great minds think alike! I can't wait to try yours though. The kids would LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a FAB idea! I love it forever...and I'm definitely going to try it :) Thanks for hosting!
    p.s. I've tried your egg salad recipe and I'm in love...avacado! sour cream! so unexpected, so great :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have french toast all the time and I've never thought of doing it this way. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun idea! The kids would love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an adorable idea. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yumm-o my kids would love those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those look delicious! I bet the kids had fun making them! That is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Alicia - Still no sign of the Fluffy White frosting Mix here in Arizona. :( but I am not giving up looking. I will keep you posted.
    I love your breakfast dinner on a stick!
    super cute.
    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  23. How perfect is that for the kids during a get together night, very cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really love this idea! It is hard not to kind of like Martha sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a cute idea! I will have to pass this along to my friends with kidlets!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum! Great idea for breakfast for dinner. I can't wait to try this with the kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. My kids saw this blog post and are now requesting "breakfast on a stick". Since we're still living in a hotel, I was hoping you could bring some by. :)
    I won't hold my breath.

    Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
    @TweetingMama

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look really good and fun! We have been so busy lately I haven't cooked anything worth blogging about, I love tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks perfect for grown-ups too! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks great! What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That looks tremendous! And possibly within my skill set.

    We just went back to school ourselves so I understand the whirlwind. I wish you guys a great year!
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  32. love this idea! I am sooooo doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Definitely doing this at work...it's wonderful for our breakfasts!!

    ReplyDelete