Tasty Tuesdays Bloghop: Healthier Halloween Ideas

This time of year normally calls for soups and ciders, but in light of the 80 degree temps, I'm shifting gears.

Halloween is fast approaching and although I heart Halloween treats, I thought I'd share a few healthier options that might be nice for dinners, snacks, or parties.

Scarecrow Tostadas
from Pillsbury Magazine

Photobucket
Ingredients
1-lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 can refried beans
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
6 Old El Paso tostada shells (from 4.5-oz box)
6 ready-to-eat baby-cut carrots
6 red bell pepper slices
12 cherry tomatoes
About 4 teaspoons sour cream
12 ripe olive slices
1 1/2 cups finely shredded Mexican or taco-seasoned cheese blend (6 oz)
1 1/2 cups chopped leaf lettuce
6 triangle-shaped tortilla chips (about 3 inch)

In 10-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Add beans, cumin and garlic salt. Reduce heat to low; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until hot. Meanwhile, heat tostada shells as directed on box. To assemble tostadas, spread 1/2 cup beef mixture onto each tostada shell. Place carrots in center of each for nose, red bell pepper slice for mouth and 2 cherry tomatoes for eyes. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon sour cream on each tomato eye; top with olive slices. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese and 1/4 cup lettuce around top edge of each tostada. Place tortilla chip on top of each tostada for scarecrow hat. Serve immediately.

Photobucket
*This is a fun one for kids. There is no end to the possibilities.

Toasted Cheese Jack-O-Lanterns
from TLC

Photobucket

Photobucket
Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
8 slices bread
4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
4 slices sharp Cheddar cheese

1.Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread butter on one side of each bread slice. Place bread, buttered side down, onto ungreased cookie sheet.
2.Cut out shapes from 4 bread slices using paring knife to make jack-o'-lantern faces. Layer 1 slice Monterey Jack and 1 slice Cheddar on remaining 4 bread slices.
3.Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven; place jack-o'-lantern bread slice on sandwiches. Serve immediately.

*Mine didn't turn out quite like the picture, but the kids liked them all the same.

Grape-Lemonade Ghost Ice Pops
from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine

Ingredients
1 cup pure Concord grape juice
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 4 lemons)
2/3 cup sugar
6 raisins, halved
12 small honeydew melon balls (from 1/2 melon)

In a medium bowl, whisk together juices, sugar, and 1/2 cup water until sugar dissolves. Slightly flatten each raisin half and press one against flat side of each melon ball. Using skewer, wedge 2 melon balls, raisins facing out in bottom third of each of six 3-ounce ice-pop molds. Pour juice mixture into each mold, insert ice-pop sticks, and freeze until solid, about 3 hours (or up to 1 week). Makes 6.

*Lessons learned:
-They will not be as pretty as Martha's no matter what you do.
-Squeezing fresh lemons is not imperative.
Photobucket
-The raisins don't like to stick to the melons.
-You should use a large pouring measuring cup to stir the liquids with sugar. (Easier later.)
-Finding a 6-set popsicle mold this time of year proves to be a challenge.
-They take longer than 3 hrs to set up and you should plan accordingly-- which is why I don't have any to show you just yet. Stay tuned and I'll do the reveal next week.

Photobucket

This is what they SHOULD look like.
Photobucket
Only time will tell...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this makes you start thinking about healthier options for Halloween. But not to worry, I'll also be sharing some not so healthy ideas next week. So, if you'd like to play along- dig up your favorite Halloween recipes and come back and join me.

As always, thanks for stopping by. If I didn't make it by your place last week I apologize. Between hub's schedule, starting back to work, and all the unexpected hiccups it was a little trickier than normal.

What are your favorite Halloween foods? Grab the button and link up. Happy Tuesday Y'all!

A Beatiful Mess



27 comments

  1. Adorable ideas :) Love the Toasted Cheese Jack-O-Lanterns!

    I linked an old post from last year :) didn't have anything newer for Halloween :) but I'm sure kiddos would love the pizza LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute and so yum...and so true...it NEVER looks like Martha's looks! Although yours look great.

    My kids would never "see" the Jack 'o' Lantern in the grilled cheese...they'd just think there were holes in their sandwich and be turned off...toddlers..lol!

    I have the new Martha sitting beside me and I'm going to crack it open momentarily.
    Love the healthy options ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! Even my teenagers will like these :-)
    Thanks so much for hosting another yummy party!
    Remember, Delicious Dishes is every Tuesday on my other blog, It's A Blog Party and Cupcake Tuesday on Hoosier Homemade!
    Would love for your readers to join us!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. That scarecrow is a great idea! I always try to get my kids to eat a decent dinner before the candy fest begins on Halloween. This would be great way to get them excited about good for them food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, was I the only one who saw your awesome boots? Great recipe ideas but the BOOTS rock! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what cute ideas! you're such a fun mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are all so cute, and I love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok my dear you are way to fancy dressed to be cooking!! You freaking rock, this is why I don't post pic of me cooking it would look like a hot mess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these... especially the ice pops. Let us know if they turn out like the pic. Nothing ever does. Well, at least not in my kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those tostadas are too cute. Seeing your sandwiches also reminded me of my dad who used to do the same thing with apples.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great ideas..and a healthy choice!Looks like everyone had fun making things...great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man what fun ideas!
    We don't really get into Halloween here, but those grape pops especially look amazing!
    So clever!
    (Will look forward to seeing them next week!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Tuesday to you too! That is some seriously cute food - I especially like the jack o' lantern grilled cheese sandwiches - and I can't wait to see how the grape pops turned out! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Tuesday! The grilled cheese sandwiches are absolutely adorable! I'm so taking that idea for my daughter's lunch today. I also love that you show your kids involved in the kitchen - it's the first way to teach a love of food!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just precious ideas! I just love them all.
    I always look forward to coming to your blog on Tuesday.
    Thank you for sharing and thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great ideas!! I love the attitude on your daughter's face as she holds up her jack-o-lantern :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed seeing all of your trials. The grilled cheese looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! The tostadas are right up my alley and hey if you say they're healthy, even better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cheese jack-o-lanterns are so cute! Even adults would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the tostado recipe...definitely one I will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Popsicles are cute, but I'd be afraid I'd splash grape juice and that cute outfit! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cute!!! I love the tostada idea my kids would eat that up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thought the I thought everything came out pretty good. I really thought the tostadas where the cutest things. I think in the long run
    kids will appreciate what we do with them and that's the best thing of all.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for hosting such a fun blog hop! Sooooo many great recipes to choose from. I feel like a kid in a candy store :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, this loads SO much faster at work than at home where I have a slow dialup... I LOVE the smiles you've included with the food!!!

    Oh, and my recipe will be up tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE your cute, healthy Halloween ideas! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi there Cedar Rapids, Iowa girl! Found your blog from another that I follow and enjoy it a lot. I'm going to follow as soon as i finish writing this comment. My home state is Iowa and I visit every now and then. I tried to add to your Tuesday Linky, but it had a glitch, so I'll try another time. Hope you can join my link-up get together this Friday or Saturday. Have a great day in Iowa. Roz

    ReplyDelete