DIY Christmas Cards, Freebies, and More.

It's that time of year again. Santa is on his way. And I have a list a mile long. A list only a mom can appreciate. One of those things just so happens to be the dreaded Christmas cards. Are you already updating your mailing list or procrastinating as long as humanly possible?

As organized as I am, I'm a bit of a procrastinator. Plus I have no idea where November went.

Good news though. Cards don't have to require tons of time, money, or even a graphic design degree.

Thought I'd share a few alternative ideas. And I'm not talking about the arts and crafts kind of DIY cards. I'm talking photos. You don't have to have a fancy camera or be a professional photographer...

Photos with Santa are always a hit. At our mall if I buy one 5x7 they let me take as many photos as I want. Add Ho, Ho, Ho- Merry Christmas in a cute font. Done.Photobucket

You could do a collage (above) or just use one fun one. Our Santa was hamming it up.
Photobucket

Or add a festive frame to dress it up. You can find more frames here.
Photobucket

Take a photo of your decorated tree. Maybe a series of pics decorating it.
Photobucket

Or zoom in on an ornament.
Photobucket

If you are religious, dress up like the favorite nativity scene. This backdrop was at our church last year.
Photobucket

Use goodies you make with your kiddos.
Photobucket
By the way, you can find the recipe for these doughnut snowmen here.

Photobucket
Add text and what a fun card.

Put on some Santa hats and stop by a rustic barn. The kids were freezing, but these only took a few minutes.
Photobucket

Put your favorite ornament or tree out in the snow and snap a pic.
Photobucket

Or use a photo of a rustic country scene.
Photobucket

This was my card I used a couple years ago. The kids were having fun and I captured some great moments.
Photobucket

Write a letter to Santa.
Photobucket

Take a photo of a tree. I changed it to black and white and then inverted it in photoshop. Add text. And voila!
Photobucket

Here's one you can grab.
Photobucket

The possibilities are endless. Point is, it doesn't have to be a professional photo shoot to be a fab photo or Christmas card.

It's amazing what a little crop and text can do to a photo. And you can print them fairly inexpensively at most drug stores. Every now and again you can find an amazing deal from snapfish or another site for free printing. Snapfish had a 365 free photos with a $10 purchase that ended November 20th, but I know there are more out there. Keep your eyes peeled. Snapfish has a deal every day until Christmas. Today is 30% off everything with free shipping. HURRY.

Becky Higgins is also offering FREE card templates that you can download and slide in your own photos. Beautiful. Easy, peasy.

If you think you aren't a scrapbooker or able to do any of this, you should check out my guest post over at Our Mommyhood here.

And if you are still feeling a little less than confident you should check out these photography tips I shared over at Kludgy Mom. Chock-full of links that will be beneficial no matter where you fall on the spectrum.

And here is a 25 days til Christmas download I shared last year.

If you want to do a "25 days til Christmas" book or would like a scrapbook page to highlight the Christmas countdown, this is for you. It's formatted for an 8x8 sized book. If you would like to have it in a PSD file, you can click on the 4 shared link below and you will be able to customize it to your liking. Otherwise, you can save it and print it as a JPEG and manually attach your pictures. This will be my cover page and my goal is to plug a picture into each of the 25 squares. It will highlight traditions and preparations for our December days leading up to Christmas.

Photobucket

4 shared

credits:
K Pertiet Holiday Trees No5-1
K Pertiet LetterBox Christmas Blocks-7
K Pertiet December Memories LT No1
(from
Designer Digitals)
fonts:
CK Bella
Depressionist Three


And here is the finished page from last year.
Photobucket

You can see larger versions of the photos here. A fun way to remember your family traditions.

I'd love to hear any tips you may have. Any favorite traditions? Card ideas? Are you on the ball or drowning in the crazy holiday hustle and bustle?

9 comments

  1. Thanks for the awesome ideas! Your card from last year look amazing. Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Donut Snowman idea! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you decide you have so many great card ideas. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ack! these are all beautiful! And how cute is it that your kids are still sitting on santa's lap? i am all swoony over here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the pics of the tree/ornament as cards! Here I was, thinking "I don't have kids for a Christmas card, maybe I'll rent some", and you featured the perfect alternative! Thank you!

    Off to check out your other posts...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! I love the ideas for the cards, and those snowmen are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great ideas and for sharing the cute pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED your Our Mommyhood post, Lish!

    I'm gonna try doing my own Christmas cards this year...wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am LOVING all your Santa pictures!!!! So adorable! I love a good looking Santa! And those snowman are so cute!!!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete