Eighteen.

Seventeen plus one. The legal voting age. The age hubs was when we got married. The number of years that hubs and I have been married.

Photobucket
(No professional photographers for a day we will never get back. It makes me sick and I try not to think about it. I have a few pics, but this photo is about as good as it gets.)

We were just kids when we tied the knot. What did we know?

I read so many anniversary posts with declarations of perfect affection for a perfect spouse and perfect relationship.

Well, I suppose I'm more of a realist. I love my hubs. Don't get me wrong.

But our eighteen years together have certainly been anything but perfect.

Long deployments. Heartaches. Disappointments. Stress. Trials.

But there have also been beautiful moments. Moments of joy. Moments of happiness and laughter. Moments that can be enjoyed and appreciated only after one has endured those less than stellar days.

Last year I shared the ups and downs of our 17 years together with one event for every year. You can read that here.

We have both evolved. We are different people today than we were on that cold morning in November 18 years ago. But we have grown and changed together.

We have defied a slew of statistics stacked against us. And we are still here.

Hubs is a great person. Selfless. Thoughtful. Likable. Generous. Trustworthy. Handy. Industrious. Domesticated.

And flawed. Just as our life is...
Photobucket
Notice the unkempt yard, the blurry/partially cut off pics taken by the kiddos, hub's need for a haircut, his tired, overworked, sleep deprived eyes...

Boring. Average. Imperfect. Messy. Beautiful. And mine.

Doesn't get much better than this.

Because let's face facts... "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Author Unknown

Happy 18, babe. Thanks for sharing this perfectly imperfect life with me.

33 comments

  1. Wow, that's just beautiful! I love that quote in the end. I think what scares me the most about finding Mr. Right now is if he'll be Mr. Right for the rest of my life? That's a LONG time and one can never tell how different of a person you'll be 5, 10 15, or more years from now? Marriages like yours give me hope that loving relationships can last forever. Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it's been 18 years!!?? Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet! What beautiful words. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was 18 too when we got married - and oh how I wish we'd had a professional photographer now too! I thought your photos look amazing!! Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! I love the quote. I know it perfectly describes my husband an I.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your 18 yrs! Getting married young, what do any of us know? LOL Here's to another 18+ years!

    ~Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very real, very true, and wonderfully accepting.

    You're both lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary to you both :) Chad and I celebrated 17 years in July. I'm adding your quote to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! Eighteen years is quite an accomplishment! I wish you both another "Boring. Average. Imperfect. Messy. and Beautiful." 18 years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary! Congrats on 18 years! I think the kiddos took some very cute pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. I haven't been married quite as long as you have, but I can relate to the "Boring. Average. Imperfect. Messy, and Beautiful." description. It's not all shiny and perfect, but how unexciting would THAT be?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary! I love the photo collage - your kids have some talent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's real life, Lish and that sounds like real love to me. Congrats on your 18 years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved this!!! What an awesome post to write. So true and sincere. Have a great Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary. I remember putting together your bridal shower in Cedar Rapids. My first bridal shower! Happy 18 years and many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary! Such A beautiful post! I can relate to your whole post, My hubby and I are at #14.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Anniversary!!!! Glad the kiddos got the pic of you recreating your original wedding photo. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Anniversary! Perfection is highly overrated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Anniversary to you both. You make such a sweet couple. Eighteen years is definitely something to be proud of!

    Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
    @TweetingMama

    PS I'm loving those bangs on you. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. perfect is in the eye of the beholder :) my marriage is perfect and so is the hubby- perfect for US. perfect for ME. not necessarily anyone else description of the word- or even close to it.

    Happy 18 to you both!!! Go to dinner and enjoy each others company. Once the outage is over. and you actually see each other again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! You two were babies!:) We celebrate 30 years this month! It's definitely a roller coaster at times, but we're on the ride together and I wouldn't have it any other way:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Anniversay! 18 year´s is a loooong time! (18 year´s ago I had just left Temple Square.) I hope you had a wonderful day.

    I love the photo´s your kids took of you and your husband. You are a beautiful couple!

    Hug´s,
    Verena

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awww! Those are great photos, by the way. You married young and you made it. Now that's real love.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Anniversary! Love this post. So real. Love the pictures too. Shows your real life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow, congratulations! I can relate to much of this {unfortunately I can definitely relate to the part about not having a professional photographer at our wedding. Why oh why??!}

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful post, and such a perfect quote there at the end!! Marriage isn't a fairytale - it's nice when you can face those facts and still enjoy and love the one you're with anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations! The photos and post are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Unkept yard? Just looks like fall to me :)

    Happy anniversary! This was such a sweet, and REAL post...which is why I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  29. March will be our 18th as well. although we tied the night a good eight years older and wiser, than you two. I doubt if it makes much difference in the end. When you find the right one, you need to make your move ; ) If you don't have any valleys you won't be appreciate the views when you climb to the top of the mountain. Congrats on your journey... one day at a time.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love you guys. Happy Anniversary! Congratulations on 18 years together.

    ReplyDelete