Tasty Tuesdays Bloghop: Lish's Own Kid Friendly Chili

Here it is folks. My own chili. And my kids dig it. I do realize that not all kids are made the same. And some people loathe legumes. And yes, my chili does include legumes- just to be clear. It's reminiscent of the Wendy's chili flavor, which is a mild flavor (if you aren't in the states, it's a burger chain) minus the giant chunks of hamburger. I like my meat broken up into tiny pieces. And I like my chili to be a little on the soupy side so there is something to soak up in your cracker or corn bread.

Photobucket

I love soups and chilis because they are so forgiving, even for me. And they are perfect on a cold autumn or wintry day. Did I mention they are predicting snow here this week?

These are the things I typically throw in...

Photobucket

1 lb Hamburger or Ground Turkey (cooked and broken up into small pieces)
1 can chili beans (they add a little flavor)
1 can pinto or kidney beans (I prefer pinto if I have them on hand)
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies (I like Rotel)
1 package of seasoning (whatever brand works- I normally get original or mild flavor then I add a little of my own cumin and chili powder to taste towards the end)

Throw it all together and simmer until you achieve the desired flavor. Easy Peasy. My favorite kind of meals.
Photobucket

And the best part? It's great for leftovers. Warm it up, add some cheese, and voila.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oh, and on a sidenote- I've had many people tell me that they've tried the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins or are planning to. So, I thought I'd let you know that I made an addendum to my last week's post. The next Martha shared some of her very own tips.

Addendum from the NEXT Martha herself: I have never added the almonds, I dont think they need it. I use semi sweet chips but this last time I used bitter sweet and they were quite extraordinary. The key to moistness is to not over mix or over bake them. I also use foil muffin papers. The smallest can of pumpkin I have found is twice as much as the recipe calls for so I always add about 1/4 cup extra, I think that makes them more moist as well.

Another tip: load the batter into a large Ziploc, seal it and cut one corner about an inch. Perfect way to fill the muffin cups without a mess.

You can also find it along with the original post here.

Happy Tuesday Ya'll. Thanks for stopping by. As always, if you want to link up grab the button and happy hoppin! We had a great turnout last week. Lots of fab recipes.
A Beatiful Mess



24 comments

  1. Yummy! I love a good chili recipe! Hope all is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...looks wonderful! I love chili.

    I'm just cooking up a mess of fettuccini with peas and ham to share in tomorrow's hop. Looking forward to visiting all the great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love chili! I love all the different ways to make it yet it's still chili!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful! I can't wait to try it! Thank you for the blog hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubs is a kidney bean chili guy - and I am a pinot bean chili girl! It all depends on who buys the beans! LOL!We use spaghetti instead of corn bread, though. Don't now that heritage, but it's the way my fam always cooked it! This weekend is a chili weekend! Your chili looks delicious! Thankfully, it's now cold enough for a pot full!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chili's always delicious. I love its spicy aroma and its wonderful flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lish! Your chili looks wonderful! Have to admit to loving the Wendy's version when I was younger and broker. It was a real fill you up for cheap meal! I am linking a great Giada recipe for smoked mozzarella stuffed meatballs with All'amatriciana sauce. Yep, that is a mouthful, literally! All the best. Alex

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chili, and yours looks wonderful, but I really just wanted to tell you that your braids look so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chili sounds delicious. We like mild chili in our house too. Thanks so much for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, this sounds soooo easy and GOOD! I LOVE Wendy's chili so it's perfect! I'm going to make it tonight. Thanks for the easy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chili sounds perfect in this weather! I shared my cranberry yogurt, just to get in the holiday mood!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my... snow?! Already? Sounds like perfect chili weather to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for hosting the Tasty Tuesdays bloghop.

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. chilli sounds great perfect for fall

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kids and I aren't very friendly with beans, but my hubby is. Can I send him over to your house so he can get friendly with the beans in your chili? lol I played along this week and posted a recipe for taco soup. Woohoo! (It's the little things these days...lol)

    Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
    @TweetingMama

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use the mild seasoning for chili,too. I may have to try to add more cumin and chili powder. My kids are funny acting about beans so I haven't figured out an alternative yet. This recipe makes me want to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Making chili tonight too, I ran out of chili seasoning so see how it goes.
    newest follower love if you shared the blog love..Also have a great taco night giveaway

    http://stayingclosetohome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I Luv Chili. Yours looks to die for with all that cheese. So glad I was able to participate this week since I've been AWOL for a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Alicia, I'm new to your blog and blog-hop and have posted my Pastina Soup. Thank you for hosting; I have your button posted on my post too. I hope that you stop by and post your chili or any of your great recipes on my weekend recipe blog hop too . . . seasonal photos are also welcome! Now I need to go check out some of the other recipe posts! Roz

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummmmmmm chili! But, although my girl will eat dhal when we have indian she won't eat legumes at other times! Fussy kids! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally rocked those high pigtails when I was that age too. awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post,I so much love this post. thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much for uploading it.
    Your blog is so informative ? keep up the good workvauxhall omega

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yumm! I love chili and I'd love a bowl of yours right now!
    p.s. did you get snow yet???

    ReplyDelete