My Word for 2011.

This year rather than New Year's Resolutions and tedious goals that are overwhelming and/or abandoned before they get off the ground, I've decided to take on just one little word to live by.

(Photo and Inspiration taken from Ali Edwards.)

Well, being the perfectionist I am I tend to take on too much, get too stressed, and forget to enjoy life's fleeting moments. So, after much thought and consideration I have chosen my word.

Drum roll please. The word for 2011 is...

Simplicity.
–noun
1. the state, quality, or an instance of being simple.
2. freedom from complexity, intricacy, or division into parts: an organism of great simplicity.
3. absence of luxury, pretentiousness, ornament, etc.; plainness: a life of simplicity.

1.
I vow to not do ANY project 365's of any kind!! (However tempting it may be.)

Photobucket

(I may indulge, but will not feel obligated to do it daily.)

2. I vow to not fret over 4 course meals everyday when the kids are just as happy with mac & cheese. "Simplicity is the essence of happiness.” -Cedric Bledsoe

3. I vow to make "no" part of my vocabulary. "Life is beautiful in its simplicity.” -Thomas Matthiessen

4. I vow to stay in my pjs at least twice a month. And not care if someone drops by.

5. I vow to blog only when moved to do so, and only then.

6. I vow to purge more and shop less, thus eliminating unwanted clutter in my home.

7. I vow to meditate regularly to keep my mind free of garb. “If your mind isn’t clouded by unnecessary things, this is the best season of your life.” -Wu-Men

8. I vow to get back to the basics. To enjoy the everyday simple moments of life more. To smile more. To laugh more. To be truly happy.

Photobucket

This magazine should grace the shelf of every home. Some of the strategies outlined to find happiness this year included: chilling out, limiting options, and making your bed. Love it.

9. I vow to not let the monotonous parts of life prevent me from being spontaneous. “Enjoy the simple, the natural and the plain. Along with that comes the ability to do things spontaneously and have them work.” -Benjamin Hoff

10. I vow to actively engage and incorporate this word in all aspects of my life.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” - Robert Brault

This may sound easy in theory, but then you may not know me well. This will be no easy feat for me, but I'm excited for the challenge. And look forward to many happy, simple days ahead in 2011. Wish me luck on my journey for simplicity.

30 comments

  1. =) I vowed to start a Project 365!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely wonderful and timely post. I love your unresolutions!
    I may have to take a page from this post, and refer back to it many times this next year.
    I look forward to reading the posts you were moved to write.
    Have a wonderful New year Alicia,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to LOL when I read #4, you vow to stay in your "PJs" twice a month. I am doing that today, and I do it many days in the month, especially in the winter months. And I don't care who comes by. I just laugh and say, I didn't get dressed today.. ; ). I learnt many years ago to say NO! after my doctor told me to. tee, hee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Great word to live by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great word choice! Even your "simple" unresolution, though, sounds daunting for this gal! I'm hoping! to just make it thru the year with everyone healthy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great one word for 2011. If I had to have one work it would have to be downsize.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by. I love your blog and all of your vows! Quite inspiring, really.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I love your vows, even if I am sad about your 365, but I do understand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love simplicity..in my life and my home. I just feel so much better without clutter in my mind and on my shelves, too!

    Happy New Year, and good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I know I could never live by a word, same way I can't fathom a monthly menu plan. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. and this is why your blog is terrific.

    Have a wonderful, blessed 2011, Alicia. I love stopping over here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love this post and your blog! I am a new follower for sure! :) happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This speaks to me very much this mOrning lish. Thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Alicia. Simplify was my word for the year a few years ago and has remained a big part of my life to this day. Real Simple is one of my all time favorite magazines :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this list. Simplicity is great. PJ days twice a month sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. AWESOME. I totally understand when you say that it may sound easy but it's not for certain people. I'm one of those people, too. But it really is the simple things which make us happiest, not to mention simple pleasures like a made bed or an uncluttered cabinet.

    I think I'm going to have to hop on this train of thought! You're an inspiration, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's AWESOME Alicia!
    I love how you broke it all down and included those cool-as quotes!
    Love it.
    I think simplicity is the way to go.
    I feel a major house-purge coming on (I started yesterday with my ROOM)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. FANTASTIC list! I read that article in Real Simple and can testify to the amazing difference it makes just to make your bed every day!
    Happy New Year and I hope you find success in your pursuit of simplicity!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome. I can't wait to see how it goes and wish you only the best in pursuing simplicity! I did donate over 20 bags to stuff to Goodwill in the last month so I feel like I am off to a good purging start but I know there is more for me to purge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i've been in my jammies and braless for more days than i can count. that's a vow i can get on board with.

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I get that magazine too. My goal this week is to go through my paper mess. sigh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous list! Bring it on 2011!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like this. I wish you luck this year in your journey to obtain simplicity. I know you can do it, and I know you will feel absolutely fabulous in doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your word choice! I think that's a great word to live by: one that I'll be trying to incorporate into 2011, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a great choice for 2011. I chose optimism. Here's to a simply wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great, great vows. I am aiming for simplicity myself. Trying to purge my home of unwanted stuff and get back to basics. I'm definitely going to say "no" a lot more and not volunteer for every dumb thing people ask me to do.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Simplicity is one of my favorite words. I too am on a journey this year - I am decluttering my home and blogging about the journey in Minimalist Monday Mission: Declutter 365. After eliminating 1,150 items from my home this past fall in my 75 in 75 Challenge, I've been inspired to simplify more. I love it...and wish you the best on your journey to simplicity.

    Dr. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this, Lish! Simplicity could very well be the answer to happiness. Just letting go of all the ridiculous expectations. Focusing on what's important.
    I sure do hope that 2011 is a kick ass year for you! :)

    ReplyDelete