In the wake of such devastation...

As I surf the net shopping for swimsuits for our upcoming summer trip someone in Japan is trying to find a loved one.

As I send my little ones off to school someone in Japan is crying out in pain.

As I go about my monotonous Monday tasks in the comfort of my home someone in Japan is in a shelter trying to figure out how to pick up the pieces of their life.

As I watch tv and sip my morning juice someone in Japan is mourning a loss.

As I drive to the local grocer, listening to tunes on the radio someone in Japan is living a nightmare.

As I try to go about my day there are reminders of this disaster at every turn.

I have tried at all costs to avoid it. But it is proving to be an impossible task. And as much as I don't want to know, I can not pry myself away. It is so painful and heart breaking to know that so many are suffering in so many ways. It moves me to tears.

Truth is, it is so much easier to tune it out and not think about it. How can I go about my life knowing that there is so little I can do to help? Sure, I can donate or I can offer up a heartfelt prayer for those suffering, but it seems so little.

But despite how much or little we can give or do, we must think about it. There are so many powerful lessons to extract.

Today the nightmare felt by those in Japan is a reminder of the wrath of mother nature.

I am reminded of so many horrible disasters that have gone before and the massive loss of life in the wake of such unbelievable heart-wrenching devastation.

I am reminded that life is fragile and can be taken from us at any moment.

And I am reminded that it is imperative that we not take it for granted. That we love and live and embrace every single day as if it were our last. And that we remember what is important.

To all affected by the earthquake, tsunami, or nuclear power plant disaster: My heart goes out to you.

Photo credit: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/

10 comments

  1. The tragedy in Japan is unbelievably devastating. Watching it all unfold on tv, unable to sleep, is something I'll never forget. I feared for my best friend's family, all of whom are from Japan. And I fear for my best friend now as she hunkers down in Japan with her family. I'm praying that things don't get any worse because not only is there a nation full of folks suffering losses I could never imagine, but because a huge part of my heart is there in Japan right now. I wish she didn't have to go. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sitting in my recliner, head buried in my laptop, much of the weekend, while my husband watched TV. Every few minutes he would call me to look up and witness the horror and devastation in Japan. It just doesn't seem real! And it is such a powerful reminder that we hold very little control over our futures ... only over this very minute and we need to make the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is just so sad! We have two friends living there and the news we get via them is terrible every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very sad, I have done exactly what you did. I have tried to tune it out and pretend it didn't happen. I feel so helpless. I know the biggest thing that I can do for them is pray. 2nd thing is give. It may seem small because I don't have a lot to give, but even if I give a little money it will make a difference. Especially if everyone gives. We do have to take some things away from it for sure. One being that life is fleeting and God did not give us any promise of tomorrow! We need to make sure that we are ready for something like this in our own lives. It's true, we can't take life for granted! Thanks for this post. It was like you were pointing at me. I needed a swift kick in the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. We don't know how lucky we are. Life is so fragile and can change everything in an instant!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I am so glad I found your blog!

    Secondly, I am having a hard time with the Japan tragedies as well. It was interesting to read your writing about trying to ignore it all because that is exactly how I have been feeling. But the truth is, it can't be ignored. I wish there were more we could do....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last night I watched a video of the tsunami overtaking a town. In 6 minutes it was just a mass of floating buildings. I couldn't believe my eyes - my brain didn't want to understand what I was seeing. To think that something of that nature could happen is unimaginable, and yet it did. And to think that something of that nature could happen to us at any moment is frightening to say the least. I just can't fathom it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It´s so sad that this happend! I have friends who live there! I´m so worried and hoping they are okay!!!
    All my prayers are with the people in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful piece. The tragedy in Japan is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right, Alicia. There is only so much we here in the U.S. can do, but we need to at least get our personal "take away" from this situation.

    ReplyDelete