The Neglected Muscle.

They say there is a first time for everything. I love that.

I love that you can live 38 years of your life and still have firsts every. single. day. Some big, most small.

Our recent spring break excursion was packed with firsts.

Things like...

Feeding a giraffe- with that giant, rough tongue you can't help but giggle.
Photobucket

Eating Charleston pralines- two thumbs up.
Photobucket

Touring an aircraft carrier- I think we could have used another day to see it all. Photobucket

Finding live whelks- a fav of the kids.
Photobucket

Experiencing a 4-D movie- not sure about the poke that was meant to be a snake bite. Photobucket

Watching a South Carolina sunset- breathtaking!
Photobucket

Eating Bojangles- how have I never eaten this before now?
Photobucket

Seeing a 1500 year old live oak tree- pictures do not begin to do justice.
Photobucket

Watching a baboon nurse her baby- so stinkin' cute.
Photobucket

Climbing a rock wall- a redo is in order.
Photobucket

And so many more...

Firsts are lurking at every corner. The problem is we have to be open to them and willing to push fears and inhibitions aside.

"Everyone has a 'risk muscle.' You keep it in shape by trying new things. If you don't, it atrophies.” -Roger Von Oech

Perhaps the most neglected and important muscle of all...

What firsts have you been trying to keep yours in shape?

10 comments

  1. So true! We hold ourselves back so much more than our circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this. I love doing things I've never done before. I rode a camel last year for the first time and it was seriously on of the highlights of my year. Also-that tree is breath-taking!!!!!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm digging the aircraft carrier pics! My son and I would love something like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great pictures. That tree is amazing. After 1,500 years I can't believe it is still up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tree is just the coolest! BTW, I love your sunglasses! I want a pair of aviators and have some on order but mine will be black. I am thinking I might need brown like yours since I am a blondie too...we will see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lish, these photos are awesome! I love the photo of the tree. And the one of you and the hubs with the sunset in the background? Gorgeous! I'm so glad that you had a great time. By the way, I've got Project Smile up and running. I hope I did okay. Let me know if you see any problems. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a "risk muscle" - looks like you are keeping yours in great shape! Glad you guys had fun (I want to feed a giraffe too!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the expression on your first picture!
    That is AWESOME!
    I would have loved to have met up with you while you were in Charleston! LOL, that would have been a hoot! ha ha
    glad you had fun and love this post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feeding a giraffe-never done that:)
    That giant, black tongue is ...hmm interesting, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like so much fun! I was there when my grandson fed a giraffe last year, at age 2:) I rock climbed for the first time last year at an indoor rock climbing gym, but I need to go again!

    ReplyDelete