WW: Capturing Memories

This past week I petitioned the family to help with a shoot for a tutorial I was asked to do. It was met with a few moans and groans, but in the end even the kids who openly share their hatred for all things photography, traipsed through tall grass and fire ant hills to capture a few photos. I can't think of a better mother's day gift.

You may be under the false assumption that busy toddlers or screaming infants top the list of challenging photo ops, but I know differently. I'd take on a small child over my stoic faced, moody kids any day. Now that they are disillusioned with the camera and not afraid to voice their strong opinions, I have to step up my game. Family photos have become quite the task, but I'm more determined than ever to document our lives.

 photo IMG_5500450px_zpsf8a514a0.jpg  photo littleman450px_zps8f76a1f1.jpg  photo momday450px_zps218c6188.jpg  photo IMG_5570450px_zpse4cf27a5.jpg  photo IMG_5589450px_zpsbc30e514.jpg  photo IMG_5421450px_zps64fe7a28.jpg  photo IMG_5486450px_zps47defa22.jpg  photo walking450px_zps46907b7b.jpg

So often we would like to be included in a photo, but find ourselves alone- without a friend or family member there to hand the camera to. And months or years go by- before we realize we don't exist in our albums. Sometimes we want to enjoy our beautiful family on the walls but a professional photographer just isn't in the budget. Or maybe it's a fear of stepping in front of the camera. Whatever the reason, it's time to stop finding excuses and jump in the frame. Time is fleeting and our kids aren't getting any younger...

The great news is- with such amazing technology and gadgets these days, it's never been easier. So, in an attempt to help others who are struggling with this, I put together a simple tutorial. You don't even have to own a fancy camera or tripod for most of my tips. The bottom right photo was taken with an iphone and timer app.

Stop over and learn just how easy it is to step in front of the camera. You may be surprised. (Just click on the link below.)


This is Wordless Wednesday. Or in my case, Not so Wordless. You can grab my button in the sidebar but it is not required to participate. Just grab any photo and come link up! And if you'd like to connect with other WW participants, click HERE or one of the thumbnails below. It's a fun way to meet some new folks!

The Paper MamaPhotobucketPhotobucketseven clown circusPhotobucketBetter in BulkPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

43 comments

  1. Kris @ Beyond the WhiskersTuesday, 14 May, 2013

    Hmmm,
    I’m lucky enough that most of my friends and family are just starting to create
    families or their own…which mean lots of little one to play and take photos of…and
    not as much sulking (yet). Love the feet
    shot. Happy belated Mother’s day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have to remind myself to TRY and get in the picture...sigh. Thanks for the friendly reminder again perhaps I'll try harder this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures of the family .Great shots:) Happy WW

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photos are wonderful. They really captured the easy going family moment and the light is beautiful. Thank you for the tips. I'm guilty of that myself, always behind the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos and I'm rather guilty of that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your beautiful family photos!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pics, Alicia!! Love the outtake you shared elsewhere as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great kid pictures!

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2013/05/wordless-wednesday-shopping.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual, no words. The kids sure are getting big, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the one with your kids kissing your check. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful shots.


    I'm in charge of the slide show for my daughters 8th grade graduations slide show. Most of the parents have lots of baby shots, not so many of the teenagers. We'd be in sore shape if it wasn't for the school photographer who has lots of candids!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such a beautiful family. I love to see more of you on your blog. If I could only get my husband in front of the camera. He won't stand still for a nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are simply beautiful! Love the pics as always!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tips are really great!!! I am going to pin this to refer back to in the future! I know exactly what you mean about the kids not wanting to participate willingly in photos anymore! ugh!! you were smart though ... making it part of mother's day!!! :) i'll have to be smarter next year. haha your photos are so beautiful, certainly family treasures!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely have that problem--always behind the camera and never in front. Or rarely. I must follow some of your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh I really love these pictures! Love the bare feet, love the holding hands in the field... love them all. So great :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Alicia
    New here and loving your photos! They are beautiful, I love the tenderness in them. =)

    Warmest
    dianaruth

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are great. I love that you shared your tips for including yourself in great family photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so right, when the kids get bigger it gets much more difficult to get them to pose for you! I love your tutorial and will definitely try some of your tips. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. THANKYOU! I saved it in my 'favourites'!!

    http://www.homeofohm.com/2013/05/wordlesswednesday-simple-things-w-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. What delightful pictures

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are absolutely awesome photos and you are so right, it is often difficult to get in front of the camera. Thanks for the tips and I absolutely love the photo collection! Happy Wednesday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. what a priceless pictures you have there! :)



    Happy Wordless Wednesday! My entry is
    here
    .

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful moments you captured Lish- perfect way to spend the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photos, gorgeous family, definitely checking out the tips now.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My Mother was visiting for two weeks. I took hundreds of photos. I am in two of them! Checking out the tips next. Thank you for hosting and sharing your lovely photos too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. They don't look grumpy in these photos :) They came out great!
    Happy WW :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great shots. I'm like you. I have wonderful documentaries of our family trips, but I only show up in a couple of shots. I finally learned to say, "Someone take my picture. I want to prove I was here!" :) Nice tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Alicia, I haven't been here forever! Isn't it weird how we lose people in blogland to just discovering them again later? Nice to be here again. Theresa sent me! (well gave me the linky link spot.)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Christy HayhurstWednesday, 15 May, 2013

    It's been since forever since I've been here, but I'm so glad google reconnected me to your blog :) Love your work and glad to link up!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It's been since forever since I've been here, but I'm so glad google reconnected me to your blog :) Love your work and glad to link up!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Always nice to be here.
    Happy Wordless Wednesday.
    invite you to visit and link up at my blog.
    www.blogshe.net
    Have a nice day.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  35. My kids now hate the dreaded family portrait too. But I insist upon it and I'm glad that I do! (secretly I think they love it) So true that I don't exist in our photo albums. Good reminder to always include Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So true, I love this project! Have a great week Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  37. you always have such great photos... and such a beautiful family

    ReplyDelete
  38. Those are some awesome shots considering the unwilling subjects.
    I hadn't thought of it that way. My toddlers/preschoolers are so frustrating to photograph, but I guess I can at least capture some good pictures. My teens/young adults are quite impossible subjects.
    Thanks for stopping by Tots and Me and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Me and my mom were just discussing this, it is sometimes so hard to get a picture together, getting better at taking selfies can't hurt! Thanks for the linky, I linked up, Happy Wordless Wednesday. Much like you, mine isn't so wordless, but it's a super fun with tons of photos from Alison Sweeney's (Days of our Lives 'Sami Brady and host of the Biggest Loser) recent Book Signing in New York City, hope you'll come take a peek: http://www.ascendingbutterfly.com/2013/05/alison-sweeney-alisweeney-star.html

    ReplyDelete
  40. GrammyMouseTailsThursday, 16 May, 2013

    even with a small child it can be hard to get them all to look in the direction you want. These are a wonderful Mother's day present. I hope no one got stung by the fire ants! Yikers! Faythe @GMT~

    ReplyDelete