Project Smile: January

It has been a difficult month for me personally. And as I sit today I am reminded of the purpose of this project. It was initiated in an attempt to help get me through my S.A.D.

And with these dark. mucky. cold. short days... it's a wonder more people aren't plagued with this condition.

Because let's be real. Winter sucks. And I know that I'm not alone in my struggles.

We need sunlight. We need to get out and be active. We need a good healthy dose of vitamin D. We need to not be held hostage in our homes.

Thank you for joining me on my smile crusade. Whether you document your smiles daily, weekly, or recount them monthly... it can be a blessing in your life just as it is in mine. To sit and cogitate on all of the wonderful reasons to smile.

Today I am only going to mention a few.

And this one tops the list.

Photobucket

These beautiful women are my mother and oldest sister and they both made many sacrifices on my behalf to be here for my birthday.

Photobucket

My sister arrived after spending 2 days in airports. No pilots, no connecting flights, and lots of hiccups, etc... And here she is after only 1 1/2 hrs of sleep and no shower. Isn't she beautiful?

(By the way, these photos were taken by my 11 year old son. Love his unique perspective.)

I am so lucky to be so loved.

Photobucket

By so many wonderful people.

Photobucket

Hubs made a double angel food cake for me with my fav fluffy white icing even though he couldn't eat a lick of it because he is on a special protein diet right now. That's what I call true love. This has been a fav of mine since I was a little girl. Click here to see me and my cake through the years.

Photobucket

And if you haven't heard from me much, it's because I've been elbow deep in projects over here. Taking classes. Learning. Growing. Expanding. Creating. And it never ceases to make me smile. The above photo is just one of the many examples of texture that I've been playing with this week. You can see another one here.

I hope that you have found a few smiles in your neck of the woods.

Just think... spring is right around the corner. And I hope that brings a smile to your face as it does to mine.

This is a bloghop. Feel free to snag the linky and add it to your post. The linky will be open for one week until Tuesday, Feb 7th at 11:59 PM.

I'd love for you to join me. Let's make the world brighter- one smile at a time.

A Beatiful Mess





23 comments

  1. I don't have official S.A.D. but I know that I feel about as cloudy and gray as the weather. Today was a gorgeous sunny day in Southwestern Ontario and I took my girl outside and we played in the snow for an hour. The sun on my face will get me through the rest of the week.
    You know what? Today it was light until 6pm, and this week we had tulips for sale at my flower shop....spring is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alica,

    You look great. You seem ageless and full of fun. I hope you had a great birthday! It seems that you have a wonderful family and I love seeing all the posts with them and how close you all are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sister pics...my own are SO close to my heart! Your family is a family of knock-outs :) Even your mom...so lovely.
    I hope your bday was fantastic and your photography is breathtaking like usual. Much love Lish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What classes are you taking?
    I hope my blogging can get as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had a wonderful birthday full of smiles. Not sure what S.A.D. is? But, over here in Oz we are in the middle of a very hot summer at present. So, there's lots to smile about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!
    Your mom is very blessed to have 2 beautiful daughters. I can't wait until my oldest daughter visits again so I can get some 'girl' pics with my darlings.
    Spring is just around the corner... lots to smile about in my neck of the woods. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday - even if I´m late.
    And when you write it´s a wonder not more people suffer from S.A.D - I think there are actually many like us out there. It´s just we´re not all as brave as you are, sharing it. That´s really one of the best things about the internet - to learn you´re not alone, and yet staying relatively anonymously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! What a beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday!!! Wow, you look so young and beautiful!!! I love your photo´s. It´s just so wonderful to know when you are loved, isn´t it.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Much love,
    Verena

    http://www.verenasschoenewelt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Lish!! Damn, you, your sister, and mom are all beautiful!

    I'm around if you need to chat - I hate the winter, too.

    Glad to hear you are out enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos and for the record, you are one hot mama. Happy Birthday!! xoxo Love this meme. It's a good reminder of all the wonderful things in our life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos and Happy Birthday!
    I finally joined in after lurking for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photos, Lish! What a short and sweet Project Smile post. Sometimes, those are those best. And how sweet is your hubby for baking a DOUBLE angel food cake and using your favorite icing?!? So sweet! (I've got to try that icing.) I hope you've got tons to smile about this week. I though about you all weekend. :) Have a good one, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! I'm sending you sunshine and smiles and hope spring comes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this idea! Going to try to join you for February!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are ALL such beautiful ladies! And you, my friend, do not look a minute over 30...if that!

    Happy belated birthday, and congrats on all the growing and creating - can't wait to hear all about it!

    Spring is coming. I keep telling myself that over and over again. Spring is coming. A little more light every day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mine's not going up until tomorrow, but January was difficult for me, too. Glad you, too, have made it to one month closer to spring. I'm so glad your mom and sis were able to make it to see you, that your husband can bake and that your son is following in your photographic footsteps!

    Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the picture of you and you mom and sister! Looks like you had some major smiles for your birthday, in the midst of crappy January weather.

    Here's to Feb!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful! Happy Birthday!! And I'm glad you're knee deep in projects -- that's a fun feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A belated happy birthday! Lovely photos. And how wonderful that your husband baked the cake - even when he's not allowed to eat it! That is true love!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Belated!!! Thanks for sharing your smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The pictures are gorgeous!
    And...I need to pay better attention...didn't quite mean to link up to this. :S

    ReplyDelete
  23. oops! I am SO sorry! I was linking to your Wordless Wednesday & scrolled down too far & linked up here.

    ReplyDelete