Tasty Tuesdays Bloghop: Turkey Hash Thanksgiving Challenge

Today I'm going to be doing things a little different. Gigi over at Kludgymom has a Thanksgiving Challenge going on. Write a post about what Thanksgiving means to you and submit it to her by November 8th. It could be about anything.

And it just so happens that I do know that Thanksgiving is a month away. However, hubs wanted to do Thanksgiving in October. Not sure if he was intending for me to be away (since he'll be working and the kids have a week off) or if he was really just havin a hankering, but we did the whole shabang. Pumpkin pie and all. (Although it wasn't from scratch or from Kathy's pies so I'm not sure it counts, between you and I. Shh...)

Growing up Thanksgiving meant lots of traditional yummy foods (Turkey, Potatoes, Stuffing, Yams, Rolls, Pumpkin Pie, etc.) and lots of family. Usually a dozen+ extra people there was no room for as well. That's just the way my folks rolled. What's a few more potatoes? But that's not what comes to mind when I think of Thanksgiving. In the last 18 years of marriage hubs has been gone or working for more Thanksgivings than he's been around for. True. And although I've tried to make most of the same foods, it just never had the same flair from my childhood days.

But what remains a constant. A favorite. And has never failed me yet is Turkey Hash. It's the one perfect tradition. Yummy now. Or freeze and heat up later.

Photobucket

We actually made it right before sickness plagued our home last week. It is a perfect recipe for sickos as well. A great chicken noodle soup subsitute.

So, how does one make Turkey Hash you ask?

That's the best part. There are no rules. Just throw a bunch of stuff together and heat it up. Use the portions you want. Make it as thick or thin as you like. Grab some bread or crackers and you have yourself one heck of a yummy meal. And great leftovers.

Photobucket

Nicer tableware optional. We go paper when people are having chills or other things we won't mention right now.

These are the ingredients that we added to the pot:
Left over turkey (shredded)
Diced Potatoes (any amount you like)
Drippings, left over gravy, or chicken broth
Water if needed
Diced Onions
Salt and Pepper
And whatever else your heart desires

Throw it in a pot and cook until potatoes are to the desired consistency.

Photobucket

It's like a mixture of a thin potato soup and chicken noodle soup minus the chicken and noodles. DELISH!! On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest, it's about a 2. And only because it does involve some chopping. But on the up side, it's a easy way to burn a few extra calories.

On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the yummiest? Definitely a 10.

And here's a card for the taking. Just in case you can't remember those 4 or 5 ingredients. Right click and save as an image and print it out on cardstock or photo paper.

Photobucket

Hope you all had a wonderful Halloween free of tummy aches and sugar bugs (as my kids still call cavities).

What are you cooking up? Have any Thanksgiving traditions?

Happy Tuesday Y'all!!

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have one to share this week grab the button and link up.
A Beatiful Mess



P.S. If you would like to join me on my smile crusade, the linky will be open until November 6th.


20 comments

  1. Hi Alicia

    Thanksgiving has always been a wonderful celebration of family, friends, and food for my family, even though the faces have changed over the years!

    We have not yet planned our menu for this year (we have some basics with some alternating foods each year) - I hope to post some of these recipes in the upcoming weeks (if things work according to plan!)

    Hugs
    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, turkey hash sounds like the perfect comfort food to me. I'm so ready for Thanksgiving food this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to come by and check out the yummy picture that I saw...Turkey Hash! YUM! I'm excited for thanksgiving already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! I can hardly wait for Thanksgiving! I love Turkey!
    Thanks for hosting!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOrry, my post isn't too thankgiving-y. The hash looks delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to try your turkey hash. It looks a bit like my husband's throw together "creamed tuna on toast," only better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh..I could REALLY go for some turkey goodness right now. Our Thanksgiving in Canada IS in October so it feels like a distant memory now. My U.S. relatives regularly come up for ours so they get to do the whole thing twice :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! I have bookmarked this recipe so I can print the card out and make it with leftovers...it sounds so good I want it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH Yum, got to love a yummy mess :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your turkey hash sounds lovely and oh, so comforting! What a great go to dish - in sickness or in health :) Hope you are all feeling much better now! Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe it's time to start thinking about thanksgiving already! It's one of my favorite meals of the year and your hash looks like the perfect compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to try this next week. Will definitely put on my grocery list! THanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love turkey hash! My mom always made it growing up, but she used rice instead of potatoes. Comfort food :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always great to have another recipe to use with that Thanksgiving turkey! Thanks so much for hosting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never tried this before -- what a great way to use leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That hash look wonderful!
    I'm all inked up and off to visit the other entries :) Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds delicious, and potato soup is one of my favorite comfort foods!

    Thanks for hosting the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Uaually my family just reheats leftovers until we are all sick of turkey. That looks like a great recipe to change things up a bit. Thanks for giving me a new idea and as always for hosting the party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lish! Your turkey hash looks so yummy, but seriously, my absolute favorite thing about thanks giving is the day after cold turkey sandwich. We have THAT as our tradition and always make WAY too much foods so we can stuff ourselves with one of those! My link up this week is a great real food recipe ebook called In the Kitchen: real food basics, so stop by and enter to win! Thanks for hosting and I will also be stopping by the challenge. Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is great...I don't think there is anything you can't do. And since today is Housewife day...yes there is a holiday set aside for us...well Happy Housewife Day!!!
    Enjoy the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete