Hope.

Perhaps it was inevitable. I mean, after six amazing fun-filled days of sunshine, warmth, and full blown spring a girl is supposed to feel let down when she arrives home to a 50+ degree drop in temp and a chance of snow. Right? I'm not sure when it happened exactly. It felt fine when we got out in KY to see Gram and Gramps. But then somewhere between lunch at Panera in Champaign, IL and my doorstep in Cedar Rapids, IA there was a 30 degree change. I tried to prepare myself mentally. I really did. But my shorts and t-shirt days were again behind me. I grabbed my parka and began the tedious task of unloading the car.

My mind was still enjoying the beautiful imagery of the South. In my swimsuit.

But my eyes were seeing this...
Photobucket

Barren branches. Dead leaves.
Photobucket

Naked trees.
Photobucket

Brown plants. Leaves littering the garden beds.
Photobucket

As much as I didn't want to whine. As much as I didn't want to be disappointed. I was stuck. And as hard as I willed it my mind would not deviate from the image before me.

And now I knew for a fact. March is not like this everywhere. Ok, so this is not new knowledge. But it isn't until you experience it and have it ripped from you that you truly gain an appreciation for the reality of it. It is 50+ degrees colder here than SC. (Yes, I realize temps fluctuate with warm and cool fronts, etc. Just go with it.) I became obsessed with that thought. It was all I could process. It replayed in my head over and over.

As I looked around my fate continued to sink in. I live in Iowa. Land of long winters.

And then I saw it. Tucked under a branch. Just a tiny little thing, barely recognizable...

A tiny bud. The first bud. My bud.
Photobucket

Hope.

I so wanted to participate in Ashley Sisk's Good to Wow Photo Challenge this week, but the prompt was "flowers". No flowers to be found around these parts. (So I cheated and used an old photo from last year and squeaked it in just before the deadline. You can find it here.)

But this tiny little blossom has renewed my spirits.

Spring is on her way.

Thanks to M4H and Florabella actions- the post processing produced more vibrant, spring-like pics.

21 comments

  1. Hope :)
    My daughter's middle name.
    A good reminder...beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I hate coming back to dreariness after a wonderful vacation! It seems to always be raining and dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Alicia. I felt exactly the same way after coming home from vacation last week. The snow is gone here but it's 50 degrees cooler than AZ! A harsh wake up call after laying in the sun for 10 days. Love your first bud photo. It's given me hope that Spring is around the corner here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was feeling the same way about the cold and the long winter until I saw some green starting to grow in my flower bed. Gave me hope also, spring will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful.
    I love those bare tree pictures actually.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Without hope...what do we have?! Cos really life isn't always spring flowers and sunny days is it.....

    I feel the very same way returning back to Wellington after every summer holiday since we always seem to return on a day where there's a horrendous cold southerly wind blowing and the temperature is a good 5 or 10 degrees celsius different. It always makes we question why we choose to live in a city with such random weather.

    But then I settle back into life. I choose to look out my window at the view of the city and the hills and choose to see the beauty. And the sun eventually shines again :-)

    Keeping hoping lovely. Spring is not far away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still think these shots are beautiful. For what it's worth...it didn't hit 40 today. Very cold in NC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel ya. I have feet of snow here still. Plural. And the forecast is snow, snow and more snow. I didn't even bother with Alicia's photo challenge this week, and I'm not sure about tomorrow. The only thing green here is ... well, I want to barf at all the snow. Does that count? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just moved to Reno from Vegas....Winters are very different as well...I never thought I would use that weather app on my iphone sooo much, :) at least 10 times a day, checking between Reno and Vegas. Anyway, this week is supposed to warm up!! I'm planning on it! Bring on those buds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can totally relate. 2 weeks ago we were in Orlando, Fl with sunshine and the bluest skies ever. We came home to needing coats, hats and boots. and even predictions of snow. Yesterday I ran outside and it was 23 degrees. How I miss the sunshine.

    Lovely photos Alicia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buds on trees are always like miracles after a long winter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it funny how one small bud can make you feel so full of hope of what's to come? Right now I'll settle for seeing the last of our snow melt off. Hopefully the next few weeks will give me some buds of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I noticed tiny bus on our trees this weekend too - and it made me whole fricking week. It's the little things, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope spring comes to you soon! Pretty shots. Love the bud and hope it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Barren branches and dead leaves they may be, but you make them beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pictures! I'm in Michigan and I agree - I'm so sick of this winter. It feels like the longest winter on record!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope. Ha! Just when I thought mother nature was being kind to us, blessing us with 70 degree temps, she yanked it out from under me. It snowed last night. Mother nature is a bitch and she's obviously on the rag. I'm waiting for hope to arrive, right along with you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm always amazed at your photo skills, these pics are beautiful! And hurry up and get here spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfectly stated. And you are BEAUTIFUL by the way. :)

    I wanted to respond to you about the corrugated metal walls in my son's room. You can find them at Lowe's, Home Depot, or any sort of lumber store. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE your blog and I've hardly gotten into it!!! I just got a digital SLR and fell in love!! Having so much fun photographing my girls. I am following you from http://suitedreems.blogspot.com ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's still rain here in WA. I put up a super fun bright "Welcome Spring" sign outside my front door. It makes me feel hopeful and happy everytime I see it. :)

    ReplyDelete